Methods of collecting

Anhosustali

Seedling
Reaction score
I work for my state's largest arboretum. Because of this I have the opportunity to see many different species of trees while I am working. I often find saplings or seedlings of trees out and about. My question for y'all is if I would want to propagate these baby trees into bonsai, how could I start them down the path. I have have a few pictures along with questions for each one. Some of the trees are not the best for bonsai, my intent for the pictures is more a visual aid for my questions.
IMG_3788.JPG

F.1: Some fort of prunus family--Whats the best way to start propagating branch structure as well as thickness of trunk?

IMG_3826.JPG

F. 2: Austrian Pine--This guy is a little tall for a bonsai. So would the best strategy would be topping it? My hesitation is there inst enough branches on the lower trunk to create a well balance bonsai. If I did top the tree is it possible for branches to grow out of lower parts of the trunk?

IMG_3831.JPG

F. 3: Honestly my best guess a Lindon--How could I increase the amount of branches with a deciduous tree? Whats the best way to turn this tree into a bonsai?

IMG_3867.JPG

F. 4: Some sort of maple--This tree with its wild branching structure. Would the best plan is to wire the branches how I want them, and dock the straggly long branches.

IMG_3862.JPG

F. 5: Another pine--Would the best strategy for small conifers is to wire branches how you would like in the future, and use truck thinking techniques?

IMG_3926.JPG

F. 6: Goldenrain Tree--Is a tree that has developed in to a long whip like this impossible to turn into a bonsai?

IMG_3966.JPG

F. 7: Siberian Elem--Is the best method to just use trunk thickening techniques, and let this one take its course?

IMG_3920.JPG

F. 8: Unknown--When is it the best time to start propagating a baby tree like these, from a normal tree to bonsai? How do I propagate the best way? Do I wait for at least 3 branches?

Thank you for the help. I have some for photos attached below, if you have any extra comments on how to propagate them into bonsai feel free to share. I am very new to bonsai I only have one tree that I bought from home depot. So feel free to correct any misconceptions I have.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A pine needs just one lower branch, cut down to that and you have a new trunk to work with.
As for all other trees, get them in a pot if you see something in them, then decide which actions to take.
Some trees can be cut back, others can't. If you can cut them back, you can achieve trunk thickness increase by just letting them grow freely and cut back later.

A lot of your questions can be answered with 'it depends'. That's depending on what type of tree you have and how it physically responds to techniques, what you want with it and what you are comfortable doing. You might not get very satisfactory answers because there are so many variables. The more you give us, the better we can help.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking at the pictures, you will need lot of time to finally see the plant coming out as bonsai. If your plan is to have thick trunk bonsai, then i advise to collect something chunky. Because if you collect them and grow in pots, with limited resource it gonna take long time to get fat trunk and you might end up planting them back to earth as remedial action.
Choose wisely as there is long journey ahead.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anhosustali ,

Two first steps -

Observe mature trees, image them.
Normally look for 10 to 20 of one type.
If you can't draw - trace image off of laptop screen, use a 9b pencil.

[2] Learn how to grow and keep healthy.
Usually takes 3 to 5 years.
About 40 to 50 victims.

Draw a simple shape.
Collect sapling, wire in curves and approximate the mature
shape.

Normally our next stage is ground grow for trunk and placement
of six branches.
On our side [ about 6 months growing season ] it can take a
year to 3 years [ if it is a hardwood ]

We use Grow and Clip, but wire would be easier for you as
Brother-in-law is a Fine Artist with 3 years of Sculpture.
He started at 17 years or so and time has no meaning.
He is 57 now.
3 to 5 years learning to water [ as they say in Bonsai ]
had no effect on him.

We look for local trees / shrubs and run 3 to 5 year tests
for Bonsai quality, at no. 35 or so presently - New plants.
Best of growing,
Anthony

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anhosustali ,

Two first steps -

Observe mature trees, image them.
Normally look for 10 to 20 of one type.
If you can't draw - trace image off of laptop screen, use a 9b pencil.

[2] Learn how to grow and keep healthy.
Usually takes 3 to 5 years.
About 40 to 50 victims.

Draw a simple shape.
Collect sapling, wire in curves and approximate the mature
shape.

Normally our next stage is ground grow for trunk and placement
of six branches.
On our side [ about 6 months growing season ] it can take a
year to 3 years [ if it is a hardwood ]

We use Grow and Clip, but wire would be easier for you as
Brother-in-law is a Fine Artist with 3 years of Sculpture.
He started at 17 years or so and time has no meaning.
He is 57 now.
3 to 5 years learning to water [ as they say in Bonsai ]
had no effect on him.

We look for local trees / shrubs and run 3 to 5 year tests
for Bonsai quality, at no. 35 or so presently - New plants.
Best of growing,
Anthony
Lovely post ??

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Siberian elm will be the first to size way before any others.
Let it grow another year it will thicken up noticibly.
In the spring collect the stump.
Just cut it low and dig it up.
These only need a few feeder roots to survive collection.
You can then put it in a bucket(I use colanders because they rocket in those) and start the bonsai process.
It will thicken up in the bucket or colander noticibly too.
Choose the lead you want to keep and grow it another year.
Repeat as necessary.
One thing I've found with these is they need to be root pruned every year. 2 years without and the container is a brick of roots.
3 years without they start to die.
Apparently they dont like rootbound conditions.

Anhosustali

Seedling
Reaction score
This is all wonderful information. So I am gathering its a long haul to create a bonsai from saplings. In this case would it be better to find a tree that is much farther along, and top it expecting the tree to water sucker, and make the branches of my desired shape. I just am a bit hazy on how new branches are grow on a tree after its been topped. How are the buds re-invigorated to begin growing branches?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bu removing all growth from deciduous trees you typically get a series of buds all along the trunk from which you can start new. Note that this requires a strong tree to begin with, else the backbudding might be disappointing (And is species dependent)

Top Bottom