Mexican Oak

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I was given this Mexican Oak (Quercus mexicana) a few years ago by the owner of my favorite oak nursery because it wasn't doing well ( in a 15 gallon nursery pot).
First step was to remove rotten roots and get it into good soil. I use plastic fruit baskets for pre-bonsai because they get lots of oxygen to the roots.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

A year later moved it to a Max Braverman pot in April.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Had some help from Peter Adams that fall.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Here it is today. Three years from a sick nursery tree.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Paul

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice progress Paul. Do the leaves on this species reduce further or is that about it?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice progress Paul. Do the leaves on this species reduce further or is that about it?

This is the only one I've seen or worked with, so time will tell. That said, I have a lot of oak species and they all reduce leaf size quite well so I think this one will too as I get better ramification.
Paul

docs_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great save Paul, like to see it up close…:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progress, thanks for sharing. I've got a willow oak stump that I'm working on, and it's nice to see other oak projects out there.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful tree and excellent progression! I've never seen or heard of that species before. It looks similar to an olive.

oakbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
What time of the year do you defoliate if you are not repotting? Can you do it more than once in a year and does it work well with red oak species, i.e. shumardii, nutalii, etc?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
What time of the year do you defoliate if you are not repotting? Can you do it more than once in a year and does it work well with red oak species, i.e. shumardii, nutalii, etc?
I defoliate in June, about the same time as black pine candle cutting if the tree wasn't repotted that spring. I also defoliate when I repot.
I haven't worked with the species you mentioned so can't advise.

Paul

Top Bottom