mexican weeping pine

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
help please with timing on the seasonal chores of this tree; pruning,repotting,decandling, bud selction, needle plucking. how much of these chores can it take. it is a young nursery plant that is extremely healthy and untouched. any tips and hints greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. all i know about it is that it is a 3 needle pineand assume it likes warm weather.:)

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They like a really low pot and if you can , find one where the front and back bounce up and down.
Hang some fuzzy dice on the first branch and it will reward ya with years of enjoyment. <---joking

I found a couple references to them but nothing with specialized care.
Michael Hagedorn has a nice looking one here: http://crataegus.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/mexican-pinyon-pine/
If someone doesn't respond here maybe you can toss him a mail and get some pointers.

Good luck with your new tree.

Last edited:

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
Koreshoffs had a nice one Antonio, also a Gentleman that i met at Newcastle has a very old one! I am not entirely sure if it was a mexican weeping pine but might be worth a phone call to him. (he's not internet savvy).
Let me know if you would like to be put in touch mate.
Peter

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I've seen a Mexican 5-needle pine at Ussher Gardens in Co. Wicklow; fine specimen, with I think the longest needles I've ever seen on any pine! The common name on the plaque said "Montezuma pine." Could it be the same?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
According to a quick Google search, Montezuma pine is Pinus montezumae. (Whaddya know 'bout that?) So apparently what you have is different.

Sounds like an interesting tree, tho. Any pics?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I wish I could help Ant, but all I know about is Montezumas revenge and trust me , you don't want a picture of that...........

Ciao,
Harry

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
According to a quick Google search, Montezuma pine is Pinus montezumae. (Whaddya know 'bout that?) So apparently what you have is different.

Sounds like an interesting tree, tho. Any pics?

hi beard, its a $25 stick with at least 10 yrs of building ahead of it. its about to get its first chop and wire, will put up a photo then.;)

harry thanks for trying.:p;)

Top Bottom