Michael Hagedorn layering Hinoki article..Finally we may see..

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For years, others and myself have wondered how hinoki might respond to air layer. Since they don't back bud on old wood and can be difficult trees to work with, air/ground layers are usually not done. Michael Hagedorn is currently trying this. However, even at the end, he states that we will just have to wait and see.

http://bonsaitonight.com/2013/05/07/hinoki-air-layer/

Rob

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool, me too. I have one that was a contest tree years ago at Btalk, still going well just needed a tweak, so I am trying to ground layer it to make it shorter.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats awesome Bill! When did you start it? I am really looking forward to see the results.

I do know that I will not be layering my hinoki. Ater 11 years of meticulous work, I couldn't stand to see something happen. Especially in this case for something that is not that big of a deal. However, on a recent repot, I did turn the tree slightly and it now has a better base. The overall trunk movement might not be quite as good though. Unfortnatley, like many trees, the side has a pretty good base, but the whole rest of tree is all out of place. A little turn yielded a sort of happy medium.

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Did it last year so I figure it will be ready for a look and separation this year if it worked. Nothing spectacular but it was just one of those I kept up on, yours is better for sure. I will let you know what I find.

Guess I should toss it here as to what do you think is the better time to work the check and separate. I was thinking late summer, and keep it in the tender tree nursery for winter care( enclosed breezway, no freezing).

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Bill. I would imagine that if it has been a year, maybe mid summer would be fine. Did you use the bag around the area technique or the pot with soil around the area? If you used the bag, you will need to watch out for the summer sun cooking the roots. If the tree still looks alive after one year, that is great news took. Now you get to see just how many roots actually grew.

You are right about the winter protection. Very protected this winter, no freezing or harsh winds. Do you have any pics of the tree in it's current state?

Rob

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Bill. I would imagine that if it has been a year, maybe mid summer would be fine. Did you use the bag around the area technique or the pot with soil around the area? If you used the bag, you will need to watch out for the summer sun cooking the roots. If the tree still looks alive after one year, that is great news took. Now you get to see just how many roots actually grew.

You are right about the winter protection. Very protected this winter, no freezing or harsh winds. Do you have any pics of the tree in it's current state?

Rob

In considering the roots cooking in the bag, I've seen some folks put aluminum "capes" over air-layer bags. I believe the idea was to reflect sunlight and keep the roots darker/cooler. Any thoughts on that technique helping to avoid root cooking?

Thanks.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think I took care of those issues, i used an inverted styrofoam bowl, slit up the side, with the bottom removed. Then I used some wire to make staples to hold it down, it hasn't budged, and the white foam should be good at keeping it cooler.

So I guesss it comes down to do they layer, and will it make roots from what I did. We shall see.

Bero I would think the foil would work, the only downer I can think of is the rigidity of the foil vs. bag of moss would make it easy to come off with wind etc., if I was doing a layer higher up I would use some white/light color rags.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Bill.. if it was done alst year and the tree looks alive, it made roots. Now we wait and see how many.;)

Hi berobinson82..As far as any thoughts on preventing the roots from cooking. I would imagine just putting a small plastic pot around the area might be good. Usually maples and faster growing trees are layered. So, this is not as much of an issue. However, with conifers being slow growers, this may take a year or more, then you have to plan for these things.

Rob

Last edited:

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been my experience that Hinoki both root from cuttings and layer easily. Having a strong and healthy stock helps immensely.

Top Bottom