Michelia figo/////Banana Magnolia

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
First off, I am sure 90% of the forum is unfamiliar with the species, so let me give a bit of background information on it. Michelia figo is a member of the magnolia family, often times called Banana Magnolia or simply, Banana Shrub. The leaves are quite large, with relatively short internodes which show the ability to decrease along with the leaf size. It produces a blossom about the size of a quarter that is has a very strong banana fragrance, hence the name. My tree is not blooming, this photo was taken from a Google search.

images

To be fair, I have only seen one photo of a fine specimen of Michelia figo, of course, from Taiwan. The artist is Yung-Shou Chang. Outside of this photo, I have not come across a specimen quality bonsai.

p42.jpg

Looking at the image, it tells us a few things about this species in bonsai culture. Most importantly, you can see that the species ramifies beautifully, though I've been told it takes a long time to develop. The large leaf size does not particularly matter so long as the species ramifies, look at the Sea Hibiscus coming out of Taiwan. Secondly, the species responds well to pruning (otherwise it would not ramify) and wiring techniques. Lastly, it can be assumed that the species also responds well to root pruning, otherwise the tree would not display a beautiful nebari.

From my own observations and research over the course of the last one and a half months, the species appears to heal and backbud well. My trunk has a few cuts that were not properly cleaned, but the wounds have healed very well all around the stump that was left from improper pruning. The tree came from the nursery I work in, not much attention is paid to pruning technique in the nursery trade; I also purchased it at 50% off retail price.

Here are the glamour shots:

As purchased. 7 gallon nursery material.

12106751_196429724024551_8810743126691187311_n.jpg

Nice view of the nebari near the desired front.

12065501_196429740691216_3292764253329664840_n.jpg

After reduction.

12088557_196429757357881_3897811892820182156_n.jpg

This will be one of those 10-15yr projects, but I am very excited to begin working with this species. The overall design concept will be very similar to that of the Taiwanese image, a multi-trunk, a-symmetric broom. This design will allow for strong ramifications and accommodate the large leaf with the height of the trunks.

I did not know how the species would respond to hard pruning leaving no foliage, so when I did my initial styling, 10/12, I treated it similar to Ficus benjimina. I went and looked at the tree tonight, 10/19 and buds have already begun to swell along the trunk and branches only 7 days after the work was done. Once those buds have opened up and develop I am going to further reduce the height of the trunks in order to have the opportunity to create movement and taper. The nebari is nearly 8" across and 6" deep. The current height is sitting close to 30" and I would like to have the finished height more near 24"-26". To create taper and movement at this finished height, I'm going to need to significantly reduce the height and regrow once the buds break.

When I was in Puerto Rico, the comment was made, "In all tropical bonsai shows, there is too much green. We do not have enough color, so we need to use more species which flower and fruit!" During Min Hsuan Lo's lecture on Pitanga, the next day, he commented on that same feeling; tropical bonsai artist needs to capitalize on those species which display color so we can break up the green foliage in shows. This idea has been resonating with me for months as I've been hunting down and researching many tropical fruiting/flowering varieties to introduce into Florida bonsai. I'm glad to see other tropical bonsai artists share the same sentiment about color and flowers in our display.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a cool species to play with. They seem to produce nice buttress trunks and nebari by themselves. I did have one that I was playing with, dug up from an old garden bed, took severe root reduction - similar to a Trident Maple. Killed it in the end...
I found them relatively slow growing in my micro climate, I now grow them as garden specimens as the flower fragrance is incredible.
If I ever stumble across a big trunk I will give them another go. Keep us updated, please.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very interesting. I have access to one that has some fairly substantial size to it. However, because of the large leaves I have elected not to work with it. That being said, I have a Tea Olive with similar sized leaves that I keep going back and forth on whether or not to give it a try. Too many other trees to work on at the moment so there's still time to decide. Thanks for the very informative thread.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
For some reason the Michelia figo picture isn't coming up for me, but I did find it on google, which links me here again, strange.. Do you have more pictures of Michelia figo's tree?

When you cut back does it backbud directly on the edge of the cut?

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, this is my first post on bonsai nut. Hope the photo comes up. First, I'd say that I didn't realise that banana shrub is considered tropical, I'm in sw Georgia and leave mine out all winter. The rootball freezes solid several times a year with no ill effects. Apparently, it does just fine down in south Florida with no true dormant period.
Here are a couple of pics of mine. 10 years from a air layer,it measures 20 inches tall, 34 inches wide, 2 3/4 trunk thickness at the first bend with a 6 inch root spread at soil level. The leaves do tow down in size after a while and as you can see, they develop a good buttress at the base at least by layering. And they do backbud. Idon't know if this one qualifies as a good specimen in your sight but at least one famous bonsai man said that it was the best he'd ever seen. hope you like it.....thanks.DSCN1381.JPG DSCN1382.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks, this is my first post on bonsai nut. Hope the photo comes up. First, I'd say that I didn't realise that banana shrub is considered tropical, I'm in sw Georgia and leave mine out all winter. The rootball freezes solid several times a year with no ill effects. Apparently, it does just fine down in south Florida with no true dormant period.
Here are a couple of pics of mine. 10 years from a air layer,it measures 20 inches tall, 34 inches wide, 2 3/4 trunk thickness at the first bend with a 6 inch root spread at soil level. The leaves do tow down in size after a while and as you can see, they develop a good buttress at the base at least by layering. And they do backbud. Idon't know if this one qualifies as a good specimen in your sight but at least one famous bonsai man said that it was the best he'd ever seen. hope you like it.....thanks.View attachment 85187 View attachment 85188

Kudos Kudela!

Welcome to Crazy!

Would love to see a thread with progression photos!

Sorce

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kudos Kudela!

Welcome to Crazy!

Would love to see a thread with progression photos!

Sorce
Hey Sorce, thanks a lot. Everyone else as well. 33 years of crazy and getting crazier as time goes on!! As you all know ,here in the South we don't hide crazy, we put it on the front porch and celebrate it! I regret to say that I haven't photographed my trees over the years. Just started last spring. The above pic was taken a few days ago and I'm getting ready to do autumn wiring and preparation for spring potting. It's just now ready to go into a bonsai pot, hope I can find the right one. Might post after wiring and then spring after potting. Thanks again folks!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Sorce, thanks a lot. Everyone else as well. 33 years of crazy and getting crazier as time goes on!! As you all know ,here in the South we don't hide crazy, we put it on the front porch and celebrate it! I regret to say that I haven't photographed my trees over the years. Just started last spring. The above pic was taken a few days ago and I'm getting ready to do autumn wiring and preparation for spring potting. It's just now ready to go into a bonsai pot, hope I can find the right one. Might post after wiring and then spring after potting. Thanks again folks!
Southwest Georgia,, whereabouts?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have one that I have been working on, Carp. It will take a pretty severe root pruning as the one that I had pruchased was actually three plants in the same pot. I cut down through the root mass to separate them and reduced the mass of the one that I kept for bonsai by 60%. It has grown like a weed since. Wounds on the trunk heal fast. I love these trees, they are planted in landscape every where around here.

John

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Photos gone here too...

These are from October at the time I made the post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160305-225707.png
    Screenshot_20160305-225707.png
    857.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20160305-225718.png
    Screenshot_20160305-225718.png
    618.9 KB · Views: 67

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Reduced it more. Worked the roots. Did a few ground layers to improve the nebari. Broke my bypass pruners. Put it into a big pot.

Attachments

• IMAG3039.jpg
    IMAG3039.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG3038.jpg
    IMAG3038.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 50
  • received_254753971525459.jpeg
    received_254753971525459.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 46
  • received_254762608191262.jpeg
    received_254762608191262.jpeg