Micronutrient product

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you use a balanced organic, you don't need a micronutrient supplement. Something like plant-tone or Holly-tone.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you use a balanced organic, you don't need a micronutrient supplement. Something like plant-tone or Holly-tone.
Plant Tone guaranteed analysis only makes claims to macronutrients (N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S), and not micronutrients (Cu, Fe, Mn, + 6-7 more). I have had several unsatisfactory attempts to get Espoma to answer that question.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Correct. Any organic fert based on seed meal, blood, chicken manure etc have a full range of trace elements. Some fish can be a bit low in Mn and Mo but generally there is no problem including them in cakes. Seed /bean meals are generally the most balanced as plants concentrate nutrients in their seeds. What is more important in making metals available is the correct pH.
Home made cakes are almost always better than commercial ones.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you plant in an organic / inorganic mix using compost as the organic part.
Once the compost is blended with weeds, there is no need for additional micro-nutrients.
You can focus on simply using something at 6 to 12 N and a little P/K for a tree that is
in the refinement stage or refined.

This bypasses the oil cakes.

Good Day
Anthony

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you change your formula?

I sent a private message to Brian to ask him that same thing. I don't think he'll mind if I post his reply to me.

I used Maxicrop once, and it just happened to be when I wrote that post. I have used Eco-Vie for about 12 years. I'm sure either is fine, but Eco-Vie prints the guaranteed analysis on the label and doesn't seem to be quite as heavy on iron. Maxicrop simply claims: "Maxicrop supplies the full range of trace elements and growth stimulants in a form that plants can absorb directly and easily through their leaves." I prefer to know what I'm using and since Espoma couldn't provide micronutrient information, I add about 1/2c Eco-Vie to the recipe.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Howdy Brian, are you still using Eco-Vie? If so where are you purchasing it from? Because I can not track down a seller.
I do, but haven’t had to buy it for a year or so.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the link, I’ll get in touch with them as I don’t see anywhere to purchase it from their site.
Thanks again,
Same here. I can ...find... it on Google but not with a source.
It bumps me to Super Thrive.
Is that any good?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Same here. I can ...find... it on Google but not with a source.
It bumps me to Super Thrive.
Is that any good?
I know there are people who swear by Super Thrive and others whom refer to it as a snake oil? I personally don’t use it and believe it is quite different than a micronutrient supplement.

Top Bottom