Mid-American Bonsai Show

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am planning to go. For the past tree years i have been going to this show and its worth the day-off;), i go on friday mornings to have the chance on getting the good stuff:D, and always end-up with a tree and a pot or two.

eric

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I drove up for the show about 4 years ago. Very nice show, vendors area and botanical gardens. If I remember right, I liked everything except the high parking fees at the botanical gardens. I also picked up some nice trees from Cass Bonsai while there. I think I will try to make it this year.

Tom

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It's an annual "pilgrimage" for us. I usually take the "Styling and Refinement" workshop and try to take in a demo or two. Then of course I have to browse the candy store, especially Meehan's and Sara Raynor's. :)

My wife and daughter enjoy the trees too, but they mainly go for the chance to stay in a hotel and enjoy its amenities.

Save me some good purchases! We can't get up to Chicago any earlier than Friday nite.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two days before the Mid-American Bonsai show! My wife and I decided to go on saturday, maybe i will actually meet treebeard55 and other bonsainut people.

Eric

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Make the effort to get to Meehans booth, good starter stock, and good people.

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually end up buying at least one starter from Meehans. I am really interested to see some of Ron Langs pottery. I am going to try to get there early fri or sat morning before work. Its perfect how this comes a week before my birthday and two weeks before my anniversary. That way wife can't complain I spent too much.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... Its perfect how this comes a week before my birthday and two weeks before my anniversary. That way wife can't complain I spent too much.

There you go!

If you see someone who looks like my avatar pic, feel free to come up and say "Hi."

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recommend this show! It is hosted by my old bonsai club! Make sure to reserve time to check out the botanic gardens if you have never been there before - they are amazing. I have honestly not seen anything in California that begins to compare.

The Chicago Botanic Garden

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Here are some pictures from the 32nd Mid-America Bonsai Show, held last weekend at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I'll post the pictures in several batches, to make viewing simpler.

The headliner for the show was Mr. Hiroshi Yamaji. Mr. Yamaji is a second-generation bonsai grower and teacher from near Osaka, Japan. Tho I had never heard of him until a few months ago, I think he turned out to be a fine choice as the visiting master.

Saturday afternoon he did a demonstration with this Austrian pine (Pinus nigra.) He first asked for ideas from the audience, and several were offered. Then he revealed what he had decided to do, and it was a good deal more ambitious than I had expected! I was glad for the chance to watch; this was the first time I'd ever watched this sort of procedure live.

Yamaji-san's assistant was Steve Jetzer, chosen both for his bonsai skills and (explicitly) for his strength!

The blue wrapping in the last pictures is veterinary bandage, made of a material called "coban" (TM?) Mr. Yamaji said it would need to stay in place for 3 years while the splits callous over and new bark grows.

Attachments

• Yamaji's demo tree, before.jpg
    Yamaji's demo tree, before.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Making the first split.jpg
    Making the first split.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Mr. Yamaji, Steve Jetzer at work.jpg
    Mr. Yamaji, Steve Jetzer at work.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 49
  • The finished product.jpg
    The finished product.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Finished product, light tweaked.jpg
    Finished product, light tweaked.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 59

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Here are pictures, two each, of the Best of Show and the Best Professional.

The Best of Show is a Korean hornbeam owned and styled by Jack Fried. Let me say that my pictures don't do it justice. (Sorry.)

The Best Professional is a trident maple owned and styled by Matt Ouwinga of Kaede Bonsai, in the Chicago area.

Attachments

• Best of Show, K. hornbeam.jpg
    Best of Show, K. hornbeam.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 51
  • Jack Fried's hornbeam, 2nd view.jpg
    Jack Fried's hornbeam, 2nd view.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Best professional, trident maple.jpg
    Best professional, trident maple.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Matt Ouwinga's maple, difrnt lighting.jpg
    Matt Ouwinga's maple, difrnt lighting.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Here are some more of the trees that were on display. My 9-year-old daughter thought that the Chinese elm, if full-sized, would make an "awesome!" climbing tree.

Attachments

• Ficus microcarpa with aerial roots.jpg
    Ficus microcarpa with aerial roots.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Kids' climbing tree in miniature!.jpg
    Kids' climbing tree in miniature!.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Ponderosa pine.jpg
    Ponderosa pine.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Euonymus, well styled.jpg
    Euonymus, well styled.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Notice the base!.jpg
    Notice the base!.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 44

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Saturday morning Mr. Yamaji led a Styling and Refinement workshop. Here are a few pictures from that.

Included are before-and after pictures of my Colorado spruce. What surprised me was that Mr. Yamaji left the trunk alone; he obviously thought it looked fine just as it is! (And I'd made a special trip to get raffia the nite before.) I hope to have this tree ready to display in two years, if all goes well.

Attachments

• Mr. Yamaji works on Al's JWP.jpg
    Mr. Yamaji works on Al's JWP.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Working on a JBP.jpg
    Working on a JBP.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 38
  • My Colorado spruce, before.jpg
    My Colorado spruce, before.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • My colorado spruce, after.jpg
    My colorado spruce, after.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 58

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
There you go!

If you see someone who looks like my avatar pic, feel free to come up and say "Hi."

Hey beard, I would set on your lap and tell you what I wanted for Christmas (Ichiban). Thanks for all the trouble posting the pictures, looks like some very good trees.

keep it green,
Harry

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hey beard, I would set on your lap and tell you what I wanted for Christmas (Ichiban). ... looks like some very good trees.

keep it green,
Harry

Yes, there were some great trees on display. Hopefully a few others who were there will post some too.

An ichiban would be nice, but it will be a few years before I broach the idea to my better half! :D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Do like I do and mow lawns on the side for 35 bucks and it will only take you a short time to be able to buy one.........:cool:

keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Saturday morning Mr. Yamaji led a Styling and Refinement workshop. Here are a few pictures from that.

Included are before-and after pictures of my Colorado spruce. What surprised me was that Mr. Yamaji left the trunk alone; he obviously thought it looked fine just as it is! (And I'd made a special trip to get raffia the nite before.) I hope to have this tree ready to display in two years, if all goes well.

Keep us posted, I like it.

keep it green,
Harry

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
A correction and a PS

Oops! The owner of the tree in one picture I posted has informed that I mis-identified her bonsai. :eek: What I thought was a euonymus is in fact a Natal plum, Carissa grandiflora. The owner and artist is Cat Nelson of the Midwest Bonsai Society.

And I allowed myself one purchase at the show, this Scots pine from Meehan's. First picture is how it looked when I bought it; second one is after I cleaned it up yesterday afternoon. I plan to grow this one on for several years before I decide on a style.

Attachments

• Scots pine from 002.jpg
    Scots pine from 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • Scots pine from 003.jpg
    Scots pine from 003.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 30

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was at the demonstration of Mr. Hiroshi Yamaji too. I was soooo into what Yamaji was doing that i did not even notice Treebeared in the room.;)

Here are some of my favorites from the show......

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2748.JPG
    IMG_2748.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 35

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who belongs to the Juniper? The container (Ron Lang?) could be seen as ungainly and the tree is good. But together I think they're spectacular. That composition takes me back to Arizona out in the canyons. I can smell the pinyon.

Top Bottom