Mid-Atlantic Bonsai Convention, Who's been before?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The 2013 Mid Atlantic Bonsai Convention will be 4/19-4/21 at the Harrisburg Holiday inn.

I've never been to a bonsai convention and was wondering who has attended this before. Its approximately 4-5 hours from me, but I'm debating arriving on Saturday to see the displays, vendors etc and return home the next day. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to go for the workshops.

I guess what I want to know is it worth it, since i would have to drive a bunch and have the expense of a hotel? Are there a lot of trees for sale? If so, is it quality material? are there a lot of trees on display? Looking for opinions from those who have attended.

Thanks in advance.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I attended in 2011. It's a slightly longer trip from my location (5-6 hrs). I stayed the entire weekend...as a first time attendee, the cost to register was half the normal rate...great deal.

The vendor area was decent size...I don't have much to compare it with except for the national exhibition in Rochester, which is much larger. There was a complete range of tree material available, from small starter plants for $10 to massive collected specimens. Lots of pots, tools, etc.

The actual exhibition wasn't overly large but had some nice trees.

The other benefit is that Nature's Way nursery is just down the road from the Holiday Inn...less than 20 minutes if I recall.

If I could only go for one night, I don't know if I'd make the trip. If I could spend the whole weekend, and see all the demos, I definitely would.

Don't know if that's helpful or not...you should contact the organizers (there's an email address on their website), they should be able to give you an idea of the size of the exhibits and who the vendors will be.

Chris

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i went two years ago as well. if you dont mind driving for one full day of bonsai it is worth it. but make sure you check out the demos and raffles. the material is so so, but there are tons of info and some of the best trees around. its worth doing at least once. also this year ryan neill and peter warren are there. or make sure you go to rochester next year with bill valvanis
its a pretty cool day tho.
painter

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info. I'll probably work in going to it on Saturday as I will end up visiting family about an hour away. Better than nothing I suppose. I would really want to do the workshops but I guess there is always next year.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Definately worth the trip. Even for 1 day. Catch a demo or two, visit the vendor area, talk with some people. Look at the trees on display. Study the ones that catch your eye. Figure out what made it catch your eye. Was it the size? The curve of the trunk? The ramification and numerous branches? The tiny leaves? Whatever it was, study it. You can real close to most of these trees. And some of them are world-class.

I have learned more from shows and conventions than any books I've read. The only thing that beats it is a hands on bonsai, like workshops.

-Troy

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have gone the the five years prior to the move to Pa. I'm thinking about going down this year but haven't made up my mind yet. It's a long drive and the money I would spend that weekend could buy a nice tree.
I enjoyed myself immensely when I did go when it was in NJ & NY and even won a couple of raffle trees. It's nice to hang with other bonsai people and they have a pretty good vending area. They've had some issues with the quality of the demo trees in the past, but I'm told they have worked it out.
Best thing you can do is sign up for a critique with one of the artists, or hang out it in the side room that's made available to an artist to finish working on his tree after the main demo. It's usually pretty informal and you can discuss what is be done or at least get a close up view. Watching demos can be fun and entertaining but I think there are better ways to learn

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sorry just lost a long post, but as said, by the others, it's good, we have worked out the negatives aside from the ride.
lots of vendors(good ones too), and we have made a contious effort to get better trees, for demos, and workshops. I fyou have any speciics pm or shoot it out and i will get you an answer.
Sorry for being a bit short but I have to go. I'll check back on this.

Thanks for asking, hope to see you there. I 'm on the board, so if you make it, please introduce yourself. I'm the only Bill, so ask any of the organizers you find to point me out.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
VS PBA show at the Nat. Arb.?

Can anyone compare this show to the one in DC at the National Arboretum? That one is 3 days, vendor tent with trees, material, soil, tools, pots from several vendors of national note, demos by masters, display of trees from 7 local clubs, as well as a juried show, not to mention the Arboretum's bonsai museum containing the Japanese, Chinese, as well as the American Pavilions. And there is NO admission fee for any of the 3 days.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haven't been to the one at the National Arb, free tells me it's paid for by all of us Americans not sure.

We bonsai afficionados basically pay to get the artists and hotel for the week end and enjoy the others trees, and get good lecture demos from the chosen artists.

Workshop and demo tree materials are markedly better than just a few years ago. Vendors usually have all the stuff you are looking for. We try to have a variety of types of vendors, so we don't have pots for everyones trees, and nothing else. There are typically trees of all stages with the vendors, from bareroot seedlings ala Bill V to speciman trees maybe julian Adams or Jim Doyle etc., good variety. Potters range Dale Cochoy to Sarah Raynor, soils, tables and stands, tools of all kinds, and fun with other enthusiasts, you should try to make it.

Exhibit trees are 3 from each of 11 clubs, plus a professionals display area.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i went to dc show last year and mabs the year before. both are on par with each other.
good headliners, good material to work with for the pros, a lot of info.
the national collection is a site to behold in itself.
the vendor areas both good , not great.
( i went to shop)
the price of the dc show much better: free.
both times a had a very good experience.

good people all the way around.
painter.

Top Bottom