Mid-summer Construction Rescue - Advice?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I walked past a large field that has been walled off from the public because construction is beginning on the land (which involves removal of most of the trees that are growing in it) and discovered that the doors were open, and I was able to walk in and examine the state of things. Many of the large trees have already been removed, but there are some smaller landscape trees that the workers have only begun to dig up. I may have the opportunity to collect one or two. I've posted pictures below of examples of some of the trees that may be collectable. I'm wondering what advice members might have regarding care for any of these trees. Should I just chop the tree now (to make it easier to handle) or should I leave as much of the upper foliage on as possible? The trees that I've noticed that look collectable are mostly pine (unknown species), junipers, elms, and honeysuckle. I'd really love some experienced advice regarding how to go about this. I may not be able to wait very long, though, as the window of opportunity may be very short.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• const5.jpg
    const5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 242
  • const4.jpg
    const4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 242
  • const3.jpg
    const3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 242
  • const1.jpg
    const1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 241
  • const2.jpg
    const2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 240

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I fear this thread may get lost in the chatter of the day, so I'm posting again in the hopes that this might get noticed - does anyone have any suggestions regarding collecting any of these trees at this time of the year given the situation as it is?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am guessing that few of us here are familiar with how/when to collect in your area and that the people who are not on often enough to give you a speedy response. Honest in my OPINION if they are just getting destroyed I would take them and take the chance they survive or fail. I mean even if 2 of 5 work out it is better then letting them all get destroyed ;)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Grimlore. Good points. I think I'm going to definitely get at least one tree tonight. I'll probably definitely get one of the honeysuckles, as I noticed that there was one with a nice trunk that has already been pulled out of the ground and looks to be easily collectable.

If anyone thinks a climate comparison might help, this time of year, we're a bit like Philadelphia (in terms of temperature, but with a little more humidity and about the same percentage of rain). You can take a look at a weather comparison here.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
From what I see on the net by comparison to the US you land in USDA Zone 8. I am not familiar with collecting in that zone but it is an experiment at best. If it were me I would collect and place all of the plants in a shady area and water as needed and just wait and see. If possible an area that gets sun but not full sun is what I mean. :)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the advice, Grimlore. I collected a honeysuckle there a couple nights ago, and was debating about collecting a juniper or a pine, but I walked by today and discovered that the entire field has been completely cleared. There isn't even any grass left. I might go by later this afternoon and check to see if there are any trees just lying in piles waiting to be hauled away, but I kind of doubt it. Now I know even more than I previously did that I have to act quickly when these kinds of opportunities present themselves. Well, at least I got a nice honeysuckle out of it!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good to hear that you had some success, and it would be nice if you did indeed find the rest of them oiled up waiting for you! But either way good luck and good urban hunting to you ;)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Survivor

Well, it's been almost a month now. The honeysuckle that I collected started pushing green growth a couple weeks ago, and is still looking healthy despite pigeons nibbling at its leaves occasionally... so I'm posting a couple pictures:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm hesitant to start a dedicated thread for this yet, as I've seen a number of the other trees that were newly collected this season fail... So I'll give it a little more time and care and see what happens.

Attachments

• honeysuckle3.jpg
    honeysuckle3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 103
  • honeysuckle2.jpg
    honeysuckle2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 100
  • honeysuckle1.jpg
    honeysuckle1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 101

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice. I like the last pic for front.

Would you consider removing one of the trunk in the future? I know it makes it "unique" but the single trunk looks better (based on the pic) for me.

Good luck!

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. I like the last pic for front.

Would you consider removing one of the trunk in the future? I know it makes it "unique" but the single trunk looks better (based on the pic) for me.

Good luck!

yes, that last front is the one with the most movement. I think one of those "trunks" will have to go eventually not only because it just looks a bit odd to me with them both but also because it seems the one without any leaves is probably dead anyway. I think I'm going to try to wait and see what next year's growth brings before I make any actual decisions on this one though...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the update! I am happy it worked out for you! :D

Top Bottom