Mid summer trunk Chop?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone.

I have this real nice Cork Bark elm that I really like. The only thing that's an eye sore to me is a slight reverse taper on the lower part of the trunk.
Would like to cut on red line.
What do you guys think about mid summer trunk chopping?
Thanks,
Steve20200726_093221.jpg20200730_123826.jpg20200726_093221.jpg20200730_123958.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd ringbark and layer it tween that useful top and...bottom which will never look as good as this does intact.

I like the top better.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd ringbark and layer it tween that useful top and...bottom which will never look as good as this does intact.

I like the top better.

Sorce
I'm Sorry Sorce. What do you mean by "I would ring bark".

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Chopping it down to the red line is an option if the reverse taper bother you so much.
I would wait till Spring just to be sure.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe you only have to give time to the tree. Corky elms tend to develop a fat layer of bark that, with enough time, thicken the trunk and the "problems" disappears by themselves.

Take a look to this one click,click

bonsai_zelcovanire1.jpg

bonsai_zelcovanire2.jpg

Sometimes the best action, is no action at all ;)

If the tree were mine, I'd work in the roots in its time, and in a good branch selection. A little o fattening, will solve the trunk question, without any invasive intervention

Greetings

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with the comment above. I would let this thing goas it is. Maybe remove one of those first branches on the right to prevent future inverse taper above the current problem area. But of course, this is your tree and if it bothers you then by all means chop it. Just seems like a nice trunk to waste, especially if it will correct itself in time

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my view we are a bit past mid summer and I will not do any more serious chops until next spring. Elms are tough though and your zone is a wee bit warmer than mine so I would defer to others who may have more experience with chopping elms late summer in your area.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look at the trunk. The inverse taper seems to be caused by an earlier chop which healed with thick swelling as sap was rerouted around the cut area.
Are you more skilled than the person who made the previous cut?

I had a similar situation with a trident. Everyone recommended not cutting. I cut. That was 6 years ago. The tree has still not started to look better than it did 6 years ago. In fact, I will plant it in the ground for a few years to grow out of these issues.

Top Bottom