Middle School Bonsai Club Vandalized

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
eye for an aye! lets take some loppers to the vandals fingers!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No recent updates on the Tacoma Gray Middle School Bonsai Club that I could find, but lots of stories of clubs around the country that raised funds, or sent a check from their own treasury, and $2,465 in a gofundme campaign in the weeks after it happened. They easily netted $3,500 in stories I found, which should have put them back on their feet.

I just sent the teacher/sponsor, Martin Brown, an email asking him how the club is doing. The message on the school website says the teachers are “On strike until Sept. 6.”

Last edited:

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The teacher, Martin Brown, responded on 9.21.2018. For the record, I did not represent BN as "my website," rather, as a forum that I am a member of, and that the GMS Bonsai Club was a topic of interest. I suspect that in Mr. Brown's response, BN is getting credit for the collective work of many bonsai forums. His contact information is public record, and can be found on the Tacoma School District website:​

Mr. L -
The response from BonsaiNut Members and the bonsai community in general has been overwhelming. We so much appreciate your help and support. Because of your efforts, the efforts of your members, individuals, clubs, bonsai museums, community members, potters…etc...I could go on and on…our little club here at Gray Middle School has received so many donations that we figure to have enough material to support the club for OVER 5 YEARS!! INCREDIBLE!!!.Middle schools students here at Gray will be creating bonsai at least for the next 5 years if I have anything to do with it?. I sent along some pictures, they are not the best, showing our sale this year. We made $800.00 profit and were able to get students (not all are pictured unfortunately) t-shirts made, for club members but to also to sell during our annual sale.

Thank you so much for your support and spreading the word. We had donations coming in from around the country due to your website. I can’t thank you enough.
-Marty Brown

Mr. Brown
Gray M.S.
6229 South Tyler St.
Tacoma Wa. 98407
Rm 1803
mbrown3@tacoma.k12.wa.us
253-571-5243

Bonsai Club trees on lockers 2.jpegBonsai Club trees on lockers.jpegBonsai Club tee-shirts.jpeg

Last edited:

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They need to see some results before they leave the school ;-)
Kids need some fairly immediate results to keep their interest high.
Anyone who has gardened with children with tell you when they are learning, they will learn best when they see a seed, a sprout, a seedling, a plant, the flowering, and finally the fruit.
When they see the whole process they will more easily be able to see each part. Seeing each part invites interest and comprehension. With that understanding comes memory.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For the record, I did not represent BN as "my website," rather, as a forum that I am a member of, and that the GMS Bonsai Club was a topic of interest.

Don't worry about it. I spoke with Martin separately and mentioned that I was promoting his cause on the site. I think he was just excited that his little group got as much attention as it did!

Top Bottom