Midwest Bonsai Exhibition

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Photos have been posted by others, but I felt like sharing my experience of the show. Quality overall was much higher this year than in the past 4 or 5 I’ve attended.

Here are my favorite photos from the exhibit:

Attachments

kouyou

Sapling
Reaction score
nice to see a variegated maple used in bonsai! i like the effect!

@Owen Reich can i please ask who owns the multi-trunk maple? would love to see pics of its progression! I really love that style and have yet to find somebody develop one from young. keeping all 5 branches (trunks-to-be) emerging from the same point is such a commitment! and how does one manage bulging or reserve taper? it's a puzzle to me!

Last edited:

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice to see a variegated maple used in bonsai! i like the effect!

@Owen Reich can i please ask who owns the multi-trunk maple? would love to see pics of its progression! I really love that style and have yet to find somebody develop one from young. keeping all 5 branches (trunks-to-be) emerging from the same point is such a commitment! and how does one manage bulging or reserve taper? it's a puzzle to me!
That maple belongs to one of the club members. He does not do the internet Bonsai thing, so I will not say his name without talking to him. He has many fine trees and very involved with the Midwest Bonsai Society.

I was looking at that tree when a 5 or 6 year old boy said that the tree looked like it belonged in a park, and he wished he could shrink down to be able to climb it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That tosho display is nearly kokufu-quality.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Owen Reich - please post the photo of your entire display, I need to snag it for my files and all I have is the tree alone version. Besides the fact is was awesome and should be seen here! Thanks.

bwaynef

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love that Trident Spruce. It looks very believable.

Top Bottom