Midwest sellers

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone know of any nurseries, garden centers, etc. that sell bonsai or pre-bonsai? I’ve seen suggestions for Michigan and the Chicago area, but I’m talking the REAL Midwest - Kansas/Nebraska.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
There is a bonsai nursery close to me, in somewhat southern IL (30 minutes or so from St. Louis) But perhaps, that isn't considered the REAL Midwest either. ;)

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Eastern CO could work if it was worth the drive. I’m in northeast KS.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where do you go in CO? I go a couple times a year to the Bonsai Nursery in Englewood, but their trees are nothing special. I usually get aluminum wire and training pots from them though

The folks at Bonsai Nursery are super nice, I got a couple of my trees there. Paulino’s in Denver and Nicks in Aurora are good as well.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The folks at Bonsai Nursery are super nice, I got a couple of my trees there. Paulino’s in Denver and Nicks in Aurora are good as well.
They are super nice, but their trees arent. Paulino's is the best garden center in the Metro area

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Paulino’s is pretty awesome. I’m partial to Nicks but that’s because I grew up 2 blocks from it and still live 5 minutes away.
There is also a place in Boulder, Harlequin, which specializes in native trees. They are not a bonsai nursery per se, but the owner does bonsai and sometimes he is selling trees he has been training as prebonsai. They have a pretty awesome Fall sale, with deep discounts on pretty much everything.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Meehans Miniatures in MD will ship, good folks, good material and reasonable prices. They have a website with very general info and photos. They have many many plants from starters to pre-bonsai to refined material that cannot be found online. You can email if you want something specific.

pback

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I’ll definitely be checking out those in Colorado next time I’m in the area. I suppose in a couple years, if there’s still nothing closer, I could just start something up myself.

Maybe lots of years......

Top Bottom