might claim this in spring - viburnum or cherry??

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
need help with ID, looks like a cherry...app says viburnum. we have these around me, this one is on a hillside and
i see some potential for claiming it in future.
20200829_093501_resized.jpg20200829_093511_resized.jpg20200829_093506_resized.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a cherry to me.
To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding interesting features that would make it a nice bonsai.

I personally would pass. But it could be good practice to dig it up.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Doesn't look like a cherry to me.
To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding interesting features that would make it a nice bonsai.

I personally would pass. But it could be good practice to dig it up.
it has a heavy angle to its dangle

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I can't get excited about it either. Maybe you are seeing something I am not.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
it has a heavy angle to its dangle
Sorry, can’t help with ID. I have to agree with the others though. You have a straight stick in the usable zone so instead of thinking about angles, think about movement. Unless, there’s something underground you can see that we cant. There’s just nothing dynamic that draws you in.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry, can’t help with ID. I have to agree with the others though. You have a straight stick in the usable zone so instead of thinking about angles, think about movement. Unless, there’s something underground you can see that we cant. There’s just nothing dynamic that draws you in.
appreciate the input.

a cool thing about this hill is there are really neat white oak, windblown and strange trunks, on like 1-4'ers

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Cherries, genus Prunus - leaves are in an alternate pattern

Viburnum - leaves are opposite pattern

Dogwood, genus Cornus - are in opposite pattern, except Alternate Leaf Dogwood - Cornus alternifolia - has alternate leaf pattern, with occasional reversion in places on the shrub to opposite pattern. The alternate leaf dogwood is native to your area of the country.

I think you are looking at either one of the choke cherries - Prunus virginiana (choke cherry) or Prunus serotina (black cherry) which have flowers in racemes

But you could be looking at Cornus alternifolia - which has flowers in a broad terminal cyme at the ends of lateral branches.

Easy to sort out when / if they bloom, but foliage and bark is fairly similar. Fairly "generic".

All the reports I've read, like from RockM, and others, the choke cherries are difficult to work with as bonsai. Doesn't mean I'm suggesting to avoid the species, but if you are looking for instant gratification, its not going to be with Prunus serotina or Prunus virginiana.

The Wikipedia was my source for the above info, and if you need to review definitions of cyme or raceme, Wikipedia has good definitions and examples.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All the reports I've read, like from RockM, and others, the choke cherries are difficult to work with as bonsai. Doesn't mean I'm suggesting to avoid the species, but if you are looking for instant gratification, its not going to be with Prunus serotina or Prunus virginiana.
Second that. While the ones in my area (not so far from Dartmouth) appear to be essentially bulletproof while growing wild where you *don’t* want them, I’ve never managed to get one to survive more than a year or so in a pot or grow box.

- Mike

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Cherries, genus Prunus - leaves are in an alternate pattern

Viburnum - leaves are opposite pattern

Dogwood, genus Cornus - are in opposite pattern, except Alternate Leaf Dogwood - Cornus alternifolia - has alternate leaf pattern, with occasional reversion in places on the shrub to opposite pattern. The alternate leaf dogwood is native to your area of the country.

I think you are looking at either one of the choke cherries - Prunus virginiana (choke cherry) or Prunus serotina (black cherry) which have flowers in racemes

But you could be looking at Cornus alternifolia - which has flowers in a broad terminal cyme at the ends of lateral branches.

Easy to sort out when / if they bloom, but foliage and bark is fairly similar. Fairly "generic".

The Wikipedia was my source for the above info, and if you need to review definitions of cyme or raceme, Wikipedia has good definitions and examples.
remeber this?
1598901729262.png

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Who's the silver tongued devil that wrote that? I do use my real name there, though my screen name here is not much of a disguise.

I do believe in working with natives. My latest projects include Amelanchier, Diospyros virginiana, I'm looking for Ulmus thomasii. I have Ulmus rubra in the works. Jack pine, Pinus banksiana are native to areas a few hundred miles north of me, so I have been giving them a try.

So yes, I did indeed write that. You'll find a lot of my more verbose musings on IBC. If you can stomach reading them. I cringe a little at some of my older writing. Actually I cringe a little at some of the things I wrote yesterday. While I am not up to @sorce 's ability to write stream of consciousness, I can type as fast as I talk, which is why some of my notes tend to run on a bit.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I see what @hinmo24t is looking at in terms of movement and angle. If we saw a mature tree with similar shape we wouldn't argue so much. This is just a bit more of an empty canvas; it's a tree template he can fill in.

Leave it in the ground- maybe with a pot with the bottom cut off around it for visibility/protection from lawn mowers- or put it in a very large pot, force some SUBSTANTIAL back budding to give you more to work with in the areas you want to work, and after some time roughening up the bark it won't look half bad. Maybe some guy wires to help exaggerate some of the movement.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Who's the silver tongued devil that wrote that? I do use my real name there, though my screen name here is not much of a disguise.

I do believe in working with natives. My latest projects include Amelanchier, Diospyros virginiana, I'm looking for Ulmus thomasii. I have Ulmus rubra in the works. Jack pine, Pinus banksiana are native to areas a few hundred miles north of me, so I have been giving them a try.

So yes, I did indeed write that. You'll find a lot of my more verbose musings on IBC. If you can stomach reading them. I cringe a little at some of my older writing. Actually I cringe a little at some of the things I wrote yesterday. While I am not up to @sorce 's ability to write stream of consciousness, I can type as fast as I talk, which is why some of my notes tend to run on a bit.
You write well imo

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Which is this?

I want a Rubra again.

Sorce

Come on up to the farm. You're welcome anytime. Dig all the Ulmus rubra you want.

Ulmus thomasii - the rock elm or cork elm, it is the northern species equivalent to the Texas cedar elm. BUT it is winter hardy. Native to northern Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and parts of Minnesota, and a small part of northern Missouri. I've only seen it in the "driftless" area of Wisconsin, though telling one elm from another is difficult. I might have not noticed it in other places. It should be excellent for bonsai, and I'm looking to find a source.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which is this?

I want a Rubra again.

Sorce
I think it has the prettiest leaves of all elms. At least of all my elms and I have maybe 6 or 7 types.
Side note, I take powdered slippery elm in capsules every day. Have done so for more than 30 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
note, I take powdered slippery elm in capsules every day. Have done so for more than 30 years

You trying to catch the blame for the lack of good stock? Lol!
What's it for? Super bonsai skills?

Sorce

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You trying to catch the blame for the lack of good stock? Lol!
What's it for? Super bonsai skills?

Sorce
Slippery elm is a tree. The inner bark (not the whole bark) is used as medicine. People take slippery elm for coughs, sore throat, colic, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), bladder and urinary tract infections, syphilis, herpes, and for expelling tapeworms.

sign me up

Top Bottom