dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Give up on the dog.
Joking ofc. Just build a bench.
If it was up to me he would be gone.

A bench unfortunately rules out ground planting. Which is where they were. Plus it'll have to be a stupidly high bench since he's already gotten everything else off of one before. He's literally gotten to every project I've started at one point or another. Several P. afras and Black Spruces. I just can't take it anymore.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Demand respect from the beginning. ;)

Train the dog..

Don't give up "flora" because of one crazy "fauna"..
I'll have to get some chicken wire and bury it in the ground apparently.

He is hard to train because he won't do anything if he knows you're looking. It only takes a momentary lapse for him to strike. I would literally have to watch him secretly every second he is outside.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was planning to move the fence out a couple more feet this year, I guess I'll sink it into the ground when I do that. One of the JBPs still has some roots left so I potted it back up, I hope it'll survive an unplanned root pruning. I wanted to prune the roots this year but I was going to put it off because they have a little bit of needle cast.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mousetraps kept my rottweiler off my trees. Got his snoot nipped once and he feared them after that, didn't even have to arm them after a few days.
I used this to teach my Pyrenees mix to stop counter surfing. Very effective

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is it just the finer seedlings and smaller material?
Might try other barberry, and not just for the little pricks, but other material might not
be desirable for whatever reason. Does he tear up juniper, how about yew? It has a smell...
and animals, like dear, eat of growth they like the smell of and know it's good for them...

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is it just the finer seedlings and smaller material?
Might try other barberry, and not just for the little pricks, but other material might not
be desirable for whatever reason. Does he tear up juniper, how about yew? It has a smell...
and animals, like dear, eat of growth they like the smell of and know it's good for them...
He tears up everything. When I prune my roses, he takes the canes. With thorns sharp enough to go through my leather gloves.

He's an idiot. There's something wrong with him.

And speaking of roses, he ate the border that I put around them also. He tries to eat plastic, and even broken glass. I'm afraid I'll find him dead one of these days.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm guessing a Labrador Retriever.
Seriously, I fend off cats, bears, roaming dogs, raccoons, possums, squirrels, deer, birds, but I still have my plants.
Have you tried any repellents? I find hot peppers to be pretty effective. The dog in question here does sound like a nut job.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm guessing a Labrador Retriever.
Seriously, I fend off cats, bears, roaming dogs, raccoons, possums, squirrels, deer, birds, but I still have my plants.
Have you tried any repellents? I find hot peppers to be pretty effective. The dog in question here does sound like a nut job.

That doesn’t sound like a lab. I winter my trees on the ground in the fence with a lab to keep rabbits and mice away. He’ll accidentally break twigs, but nothing serious for my trees still in development.

Top Bottom