Might have to give up on bonsai

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That dog would be gone. You haven't posted one endearing thing about it.

:mad:

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That doesn’t sound like a lab. I winter my trees on the ground in the fence with a lab to keep rabbits and mice away. He’ll accidentally break twigs, but nothing serious for my trees still in development.
Bless your lab. Mine was a really lovable nut case and he could be very destructive when left alone. The things he did, if told, would border on fantasy.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does the dog have plenty of toys of it's own to chew on?
Years ago I got mine too quit chewing on things by giving her a big rawhide chew once or twice a day. Once she learned that there was something she was ALLOWED to chew on, the issue became begging all the time, but that's a big step up.

My ex trained her to leave our food alone by baiting her with a steak left on a plate on the coffee table, and hiding around the corner. Every time the dog went for it she would jump out and scold her. Did this every few days for a couple weeks, and we've rarely had problems since.

Basically, make sure the dog knows it going to get theirs routinely, and how to identify what's NOT theirs.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bless your lab. Mine was a really lovable nut case and he could be very destructive when left alone. The things he did, if told, would border on fantasy.
I've heard similar stories! We have a lab mix and I'm glad he doesn't have those crazy tendencies. Although when he was a younger pup he tore up an entire armchair in about 15 mins while we were out running a quick errand. That never happened again though.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good dogs are angels and we don't deserve them. Bad dogs are good dogs in the wrong situation, under the wrong management.
Exactly!

My parents must know just "how" to train dogs... old dogs, young dogs, gentle dogs, crazy dogs, abused rescue dogs, ESTATE dogs...
They all, under our guidance, were "Good" dogs..

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm guessing a Labrador Retriever.
Seriously, I fend off cats, bears, roaming dogs, raccoons, possums, squirrels, deer, birds, but I still have my plants.
Have you tried any repellents? I find hot peppers to be pretty effective. The dog in question here does sound like a nut job.
Yup he is. Though the one we had before him never hurt anything. Night and day difference, and we haven't suddenly changed how we treat dogs.
Does the dog have plenty of toys of it's own to chew on?
Years ago I got mine too quit chewing on things by giving her a big rawhide chew once or twice a day. Once she learned that there was something she was ALLOWED to chew on, the issue became begging all the time, but that's a big step up.

My ex trained her to leave our food alone by baiting her with a steak left on a plate on the coffee table, and hiding around the corner. Every time the dog went for it she would jump out and scold her. Did this every few days for a couple weeks, and we've rarely had problems since.

Basically, make sure the dog knows it going to get theirs routinely, and how to identify what's NOT theirs.
He has like a dozen toys that are his own and is constantly getting new ones, rawhides, buffalo horns, goes on long walks every day, believe me we do everything and have even taken him to the vet and trainers to try and figure out why he is so crazy. He is very well treated, probably better than average dogs.

That dog would be gone. You haven't posted one endearing thing about it.

:mad:
I wish but not my dog. He's the "family dog" and if he goes, a certain person would go with him most likely.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yup he is. Though the one we had before him never hurt anything. Night and day difference, and we haven't suddenly changed how we treat dogs.

He has like a dozen toys that are his own and is constantly getting new ones, rawhides, buffalo horns, goes on long walks every day, believe me we do everything and have even taken him to the vet and trainers to try and figure out why he is so crazy. He is very well treated, probably better than average dogs.

I wish but not my dog. He's the "family dog" and if he goes, a certain person would go with him most likely.
Sounds like he has the personality of a Muppet! Just ridiculous.

😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Penumbra mentioned capsicum..

I've heard of this being effective also... for Deer/Rabbits.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My dogs would eat the fertilizer pellets and in the process ruin the trees and make themselves sick. I got this and roped off the trees. Within a minute they learned that the trees were off limits. I bet it would work for your spirited pup too.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Does the "certain person" also wreck your trees. This bears ....CAREFUL..... analysis. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm guessing a Labrador Retriever.
Seriously, I fend off cats, bears, roaming dogs, raccoons, possums, squirrels, deer, birds, but I still have my plants.
Have you tried any repellents? I find hot peppers to be pretty effective. The dog in question here does sound like a nut job.
Our lab/ retriever mix ate jalapeños, haha

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My dogs would eat the fertilizer pellets and in the process ruin the trees and make themselves sick. I got this and roped off the trees. Within a minute they learned that the trees were off limits. I bet it would work for your spirited pup too.

Fertilzer! I think that's what he is after! He didn't eat the plants, he ate the soil, and I had just put some on the day before. It's full of tasty animal products so I'm sure it smells like dog food to him.

You just made me realize why he probably went after them all of a sudden after ignoring them all last year when I was using an inorganic fertilizer.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before I am chastised any further about my dogs behavior, I would like to say that I took him as a full grown dog from a friend who moved across the pond. He was amazing and well trained in several aspects, but he really resented being left alone, which is unfortunately necessary from time to time. He had the uncanny sense of knowing which were your favorite things, be it plant, book, or anything else, and punishing these things for being your favorites. He also knew exactly how far down to munch a grafted plant so that all you were left with was the rootstock.
Sometimes he was just bored, like the time I was away overnight and he opened the cupboard doors beneath the kitchen sink and took everything he could fit into the bathroom sink down the hall. That same evening he pulled a few book out of the bookcase that were tightly wedged in and he ate them. They were signed collectors art books by Frank Frazetta. They were my favorite and most valuable books and he knew it and was in a jealous and righteous fit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilzer! I think that's what he is after! He didn't eat the plants, he ate the soil, and I had just put some on the day before. It's full of tasty animal products so I'm sure it smells like dog food to him.

You just made me realize why he probably went after them all of a sudden after ignoring them all last year when I was using an inorganic fertilizer.
Well hell, that's a given. You should have figured that out. Dogs are by nature eating machines.

Top Bottom