Mighty sequoia questions

Matt Regan

Sapling
Reaction score
Who's got some good info for me on the giant sequoia? I have a young tree in a pot and as of recently it's starting to look as if winter got to it? Some branches are becoming breakable

Attachments

• 20170323_172401.jpg
    20170323_172401.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 122

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm no expert... but that does not look to be in the prime of its life. :confused:

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yeah man that looks walking deadish.. scratchy barky?

(edit: Scratch the bark on the trunk with your fingernail.. Can you see some green?)

Matt Regan

Sapling
Reaction score
Agreed. From what I've read it's not uncommon for young trees to golden if you will from winter. But until recently branches have been dying. But still has dark green young growth

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know at least that they are one of the species that can absorb water through its leaves, which is what allows them to reach such heights when growing. Like ficus. A tree can only grow so tall from its roots but when it can absorb through its leaves too, it get some bigger..

This kind looks fried. Maybe got too much sun, maybe its roots weren't healthy enough to withstand it. Maybe didn't water enough. It's substrate looks very inorganic, hope you been watering a lot.
Maybe keep in shade, water well and hope it pulls through. Perhaps this is normal for it and we all just think it looks bad.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
too many variables, but it`s alive. I`d would (sorry connor) put in full sun if watered well. Spark new growth if whats there is dieing.. But maybe someone with experience could help.. which was your opening line :p

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Keeping this tree anywhere near you will only serve to depress. It's a lost cause. Throw it away and get a new one in a smaller pot.

TBH mike is right there.. there is nothing "worth saving".. chop it right back and leave it in a corner.. or @sorce has a place if you want to burn it..

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Been working with Sequoias for 8-10 years, they really need good winter protection, not so much from the cold, but from the wind. Cold winds will dedicate them like no other tree. Mine stay in an unheated garage until freezing temps disappear, they also like plenty of water, but not wet roots, similar to Hinokis. I'm sorry to say that this one is a goner. You can hope it bounces back, but in my experience, once it hits this point, it's a slow agonizing death.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Been working with Sequoias for 8-10 years, they really need good winter protection, not so much from the cold, but from the wind. Cold winds will dedicate them like no other tree. Mine stay in an unheated garage until freezing temps disappear, they also like plenty of water, but not wet roots, similar to Hinokis. I'm sorry to say that this one is a goner. You can hope it bounces back, but in my experience, once it hits this point, it's a slow agonizing death.
Also, the soil looks far too course, This is one tree I use completely a different soil, I use unsifted soil and I add a bit of the fines from my other sifted soil, as well as more decomposed pine bark than normal. These guys do not like to dry out. My understanding is that in the winter when the rootball is frozen, they don't have the ability to run water up to the foliage mass to replace dedication loss. In thier native range, the snow covers the young trees completely providing them a blanket of protection until the roots are well established many years later.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That tree is a goner. Sorry. It would be helpful if you posted your approximate location (country/region) That is critically important for bonsai, as climate is a considerable factor.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am no expert regarding this species, but since you have it, I would just keep it cared for and give it a few months.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
In my experience Redwoods don't take drying out to well. That being said it almost looks like some of the buds are still greenish.
I hope the rocks are a top layer...cause i'm not seeing any soil.
Like Rock said it's hard to give much help without knowing much history.

Jim G

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who's got some good info for me on the giant sequoia? I have a young tree in a pot and as of recently it's starting to look as if winter got to it? Some branches are becoming breakable
Matt,
Guy Vitale is my go to guy for Sequoia questions. He's coaching me with mine that is going through its first winter here in SE Michigan and hoping it's going to make it. If mine makes it, and I think it's looking good... I will be more than happy to provide details on exactly what I did to overwinter here in my zone. Like others have said we need more info on your zone. What did you do to overwinter? As Guy stated these trees need a certain soil and tons of care like misting twice a day in the summer. Here's another post. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-sequoia.24786/
If you lose your tree, try another one and keep in touch. We want to learn from each other. I got mine from here: https://www.giant-sequoia.com/about-sequoia-trees/giant-sequoia-bonsai-care/
Good Luck.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Matt,
Guy Vitale is my go to guy for Sequoia questions. He's coaching me with mine that is going through its first winter here in SE Michigan and hoping it's going to make it. If mine makes it, and I think it's looking good... I will be more than happy to provide details on exactly what I did to overwinter here in my zone. Like others have said we need more info on your zone. What did you do to overwinter? As Guy stated these trees need a certain soil and tons of care like misting twice a day in the summer. Here's another post. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-sequoia.24786/
If you lose your tree, try another one and keep in touch. We want to learn from each other. I got mine from here: https://www.giant-sequoia.com/about-sequoia-trees/giant-sequoia-bonsai-care/
Good Luck.
Thanks Jim G, I don't consider myself an expert by any stretch, but there is a general lack of good Sequoia care as bonsai info out there and I had to learn a lot as I went along. 8-10 years of trial and error, so I just try to to pass on what I found to work/not work to hopefully save others years of thier own trial and error.

To be honest, I do not mist mine at all, but I use a heavier soil than with my other trees, smaller particles and unsifted decomposed pine bark, and good winter protection is a must all while giving it a dormancy period (gee, I wonder why more people don't try them) I get mine from the same link as well and there is good general care guidelines on the site as well.

Jim, I'm glad to hear yours appears to be doing well, now is the time to bring it out, but be sure to bring it back in the shed at night when it's colder and windy.

BTW the FSBC club is having a meeting at 1pm at Bordine's in Rochester tomorrow, we have a wide variety of demos, I'll be repotting my Coast Redwood, you should join us.

Top Bottom