Mikawa Yatsubusa Suggestions?

Cabin Fever

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone!
I am a new Bonsai enthusiast and this is my first post..
Being new I rushed out to buy the first thing that looked remotely like a Bonsai and ended up with this
Mikawa Yatsubusa Dwarf Japanese Maple.
I could use some suggestions on what to do with this little beast.
It needs some trunk help. Do I take it out of the pot and into the ground to develop the trunk for a couple years or what?

Thanks,
Bryan

B0D8B8D9-6048-482A-82EA-923E6CD59852.jpeg3F0A6958-12D9-47E7-897A-C76A4D09004C.jpegD6817CB2-74FF-48EB-8088-D33ADFF92709.jpeg

Attachments

• 57BAE9C9-3DD8-44BF-A45F-E5943A8F0DC8.jpeg
    57BAE9C9-3DD8-44BF-A45F-E5943A8F0DC8.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 60
D

Deleted member 21616

welcome to the forum

first question (you may want to jump to the second question): does the grafted trunk bother you? My katsura was grafted high up on the trunk like this, and this drove me crazy to the point where i was losing sleep over it.

You may want to reach out to the person who had the same type of tree as you, and the same 'issue' (if you consider it to be one):

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mikawa-yatsubusa.21519/page-2

One way is to air-layer above the graft, but this can be risky and disappointment is something you want to avoid with your first tree.

second question: how much reading/practice have you done, and have you visited a local nursery? Are you familiar with your local club(s)?

my recommendation: This is your first tree, and it will not be your last tree (hopefully), nor will it be your masterpiece.

i would recommend that you simply get used to keeping it alive for a full year. There is a lot to know just with regards to watering, fertilizing, and overwintering.

I was very thankful that somebody recently told me about the Mirai videos (esp. spring fundamentals, fall physiology), which are free. These videos completely advanced the way I understood trees in general.

Once you've watched these videos, start spending a lot of time on this forum, and read through threads carefully and take notes.

When you rewatch those Mirai videos for a second time--say, six months from now--you're going to be astonished as to how much you missed the first time.

your tree: take it to a local bonsai nursery, ask about winter care in your climate in particular. ask if somebody would be wiling to sit down with you next spring and repot the tree with you. You will learn a lot in that hour through conversation.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

(1) Focus on keeping it alive, versus styling or pruning it. Being your first tree, if you keep it alive for a year you are doing well!
(2) Go out and buy ten - if not twenty - of the same trees. That way you can work on one and set it aside for several months before you touch it again. If you only have one (or a couple) of trees, it is very easy to kill it by giving it too much attention.
(3) See if there is a bonsai club / association in your area, and try to join. You will learn more in a couple meetings that you would in a year of trying to teach yourself...

Have fun!!

Cabin Fever

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tips and suggestions..
Yes, the graft bothers me.. it’s the main reason I made my post.
I didn’t know if the tree would basically grow out of it, or if I had to address it specifically.

I have been reading all I can and also picked up several cheap nursery trees like some boxwoods
to practice on. This Maple is the only higher end tree I have purchased so far.
I’m going to try and catch the next club meeting and learn a little more before I destroy anything.

Bryan

Top Bottom