Mikawa Yatsubusa

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the board. I'm looking for some advice on how or if I should shorten the long right root on the nebari? I'm also thinking about air layering the top portion of the left branch. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'1.jpg
    'Mikawa Yatsubusa'1.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'2.jpg
    'Mikawa Yatsubusa'2.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'4.jpg
    'Mikawa Yatsubusa'4.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 338

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow i like it (very much), nice species. (only bad pictures :(

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, I know :oops:. I took those pictures with my phone. I plan on getting a good camera soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New to the board.
With some new boards on the deck!

Welcome to Crazy! Les.

The last pic is your front to me, nice and wide. Cut off the light gray roots when a maple guy says the time is Right.

Looks nice.

An airlayer. Or just shortening one side seems a good idea too!

Sorce

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Ok, I have another year to go before I can do a repot and work on the roots. So I need a few ideas on what to do on this tree. I've been thinking about air layering the top part of the left branch but I'm not sure if I should touch the other two branches. what do you think :):)Mikawa Yatsubusa,ET2.jpg

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you considered air layering the middle branch, if you remove the left branch I think you'd lose the symatry. Also, the upper branches look a little too thick with no tapering. Perhaps cut them back some and start over with young thin branches that can be wired to shape. Nice potential on this tree, I like it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That crows foot up there is ugly....

Unless you can Fix that this year.....
I wouldn't air layer it...

I would chop it back.
aviary-image-1457870038380.jpeg

But I'd like to hear from @MACH5 .

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Why can't you do root work this year? I'd start by fixing the nebari. The right side needs attention, and the whole thing needs to be planted deeper. Look @markyscott recent post on his Eibehara-style maple. Once you get the roots right, you can deal with the top. J maples are fully capable of handling annual repotting; I've repotted this one every year for the last 10 years.

Get help if you're new, because it's necessary to get aggressive, in a calculated manner. Best to do that when the tree is strong so the roots can regenerate faster.

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your valuable input. I was unaware I could repot every year, everything I've read told me at the lest two. The tree is starting to come out of dormancy and I wanted to not only cut off the large cross root but I also wanted to do a couple of root grafts on the back and follow Mr. Scott recent post on his Eibehara-style maple on the board. I don't know if I have enough time two get a few seedling shipped to me but I will definitely repot and work on the nebari. Then next year I will air layer some of the top branches. :D

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good plan. Be sure you work with consideration to the final soil level. You don't want to cut those big exposed roots off and leave yourself with an ugly scar as the solution. Make cuts face down. Remove everything facing down, comb everything out and arrange radially. Plant deeper. Good soil, lots of water.

Here's one I've been working ou:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2015/05/16/the-cycle-continues/

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Good plan. Be sure you work with consideration to the final soil level. You don't want to cut those big exposed roots off and leave yourself with an ugly scar as the solution. Make cuts face down. Remove everything facing down, comb everything out and arrange radially. Plant deeper. Good soil, lots of water.

Thanks Brain, will do. I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time lol.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I can't tell you how many times I read that blog post, Brian. It's a really great progression. Thanks for reminding us about it. Another resource for you Les, that is directed more at some of the initial work you do to get the root growth started in the right direction, is Boon's video on Japanese maples. It's very good, especially if you haven't undertaken the kind of work that Brian is suggesting.

Scott

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Scott. I need to get out there and repot that one in the next day or two...its just starting to wake up today.

Last edited:

Les

Mame
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I read that blog post, Brian. It's a really great progression. Thanks for reminding us about it. Another resource for you Les, that is directed more at some of the initial work you do to get the root growth started in the right direction, is Boon's video on Japanese maples. It's very good, especially if you haven't undertaken the kind of work that Brian is suggesting.

Scott
Interestingly enough I've been thinking about buying a couple of boons videos on maple. Thank!

Les

Mame
Reaction score
I did my first repot on "E.T." (my wife name the tree that because of the crazy branching structure) and decided to use mMikawa Yatsubusa repot 2016 b.jpg Mikawa Yatsubusa repot 2016 f.jpg y 22" round mica training pot. I cut off the thick cross root on the top surface but I had know idea :eek: that there were so many thick crossing roots underneath the tree. I cut quit a few off and I will take care of the rest next year. After taking a good a assessment on the nebari, I realize this is going to be the focal point for a few years but for now I will just enjoy the beautiful colors.

Les

Mame
Reaction score
UPDATE spring 2017 ... Not a lot to add to this post. I'm still just mainly working on the roots and nebari of the tree. I did a repot and cut the rest of the twisted roots underneath off. I also shortened that large root and did one root graft.:)

repot spring of 2017.jpg

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I think this tree has great potential but there are some things that do not convince me. Some major branches (those on the right in the last picture) do not have enough taper, i.e. they should have been cut shorter. Some just take a weird turn. The leftmost one is too cluttered. Just my 2 cents ;-) I would tackle one thing at a time and try to make it flow more smoothly.

Top Bottom