Mike's "Azalea 2020-2025" Entry

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I picked this guy up late fall. I believe it is an autumn moon azalea. The first pics are from when I got it. The second set are from today (it is in winter storage). No work has been done to this. My plan for 2020 is to repot (and separate the second plant). I will cut it back in 2021.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like that pot in the second pic. What do the feet look like?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah Brian does good work. He posts new stuff every week on various facebook auctions. This pot will not be this trees final home but I just got the pot and wanted to use it.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good vigorous growth is always a good sign! What design do you envision?
Not sure I need to see what options I get. 🙂

I haven't gotten anything sprouting on that fat branch so I might need to remove that.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! That’s a seriously lot of whacking back - roots and stems! I hope you continue to get more budding in the next weeks. Azaleas are incredibly resilient and constantly surprise me!
I’ve done about the same and ended up regretting potting the cut down plant in a bonsai pot... as it really didn’t respond as well as I felt it should of.
For cut down azaleas, I‘ve simultaneously gotten very much better results in training pots in a kanuma/Sphagnum moss mix. However the very best results I’m getting right now are with azaleas in the ground in a mostly fine bark/peat mix. These guys are positively perky and growing very strongly compared to their potted counterparts!
Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No worries.... That’s pretty funny as I did the same thing, after watching some of his videos, with one of my first Satsuki! It survived, but is only just forgiving me now.😉. I swear it’s flowers used to turn hot pink whenever I walked by! That said, John’s work is amazing!

Now, I’m a little bit more conservative and have found myself going to ground or bigger, porous plots to start with. I guess to me it’s more an effort to gain trunk and choices than anything.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Maybe next year you will have the growth so you can take new shoots down to twos. 😎
Cheers DSD sends

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those new leaves look much healthier than the way the plant looked before you pruned. It was so brownish/grew, but maybe your entire photo had that colour? Was about to comment on the health of the plant when I saw that weeks ago. But in the very first picture, it looks proper and green. This is 'Shugetsu', right? Purple flowers with white centers.

Top Bottom