Milehigh_7's personal pine entry thread

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like where this is going. I'm the same kind of guy as the one that taught you. I micropropagate for a living, amongst other stuff.
Since I know you're genuinely interested, I think I can speak freely here.
I'm using BAP to induce branching, like a lot of in vitro protocols for pines do.
My stocks were way past their expiration date, but I'm reporting double trunks at the first node and some funky backbudding in between juvinile needles. When they were sprayed and dripped before the second set of needles.
I'm testing another less known hormone and it's doing just that, but in a more reliable fashion.

I got some real fat trunk growth using pure IBA-K salts (and half of them died). So what you're reporting might be a case of overly active cell division.

TDZ is a hormone I haven't used in 5 years at least. But I remember it's preservative nature to be an issue for me with some plants.

Anyhow, thanks for the write up! I'll be following this one!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I like where this is going. I'm the same kind of guy as the one that taught you. I micropropagate for a living, amongst other stuff.
Since I know you're genuinely interested, I think I can speak freely here.
I'm using BAP to induce branching, like a lot of in vitro protocols for pines do.
My stocks were way past their expiration date, but I'm reporting double trunks at the first node and some funky backbudding in between juvinile needles. When they were sprayed and dripped before the second set of needles.
I'm testing another less known hormone and it's doing just that, but in a more reliable fashion.

I got some real fat trunk growth using pure IBA-K salts (and half of them died). So what you're reporting might be a case of overly active cell division.

TDZ is a hormone I haven't used in 5 years at least. But I remember it's preservative nature to be an issue for me with some plants.

Anyhow, thanks for the write up! I'll be following this one!

I am so excited to have somebody to talk about that stuff to! I knew of BAP but had no idea of how to use it. My source of knowledge is a guy that sells tissue culture kits. He uses TDZ so that's all I know how to use at this point. His information is very much geared toward the cannabis industry and he uses the same method I used and produces new veg plants very quickly from "trim." I mostly was interested in forcing multiple nodes very near the first pair of needles. Let's chat about BAP and other stuff!

Oh the other reason is there is honestly a world wide shortage of TDZ and I am sure it is due to the cannabis industry.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm from the NL's and I know the cannabis industry quite well.
Those things root just by looking at them, and they branch easily with just a single pinching session.
If there's a shortage, it's more likely to be caused by people fooling around with carnivorous plants ;-) they are the masters in buying up tissue culture kits.
Tissue culture in cannabis, would be a waste of time and resources. There's simply no need for it when a plant is mulitplied that easily with just mechanical practices like cutting and pinching.

But back to the hormones; I found that bap was the most used bud and branching inducer for pines. But I'm still trying to pinpoint the ideal concentration for topical sprays or root drenches. A new batch of jbp was sown this week to see what the most ideal concentration should be.
What's even more interesting, is a relatively new found hormone called epibrassinolide. The stuff induces shoots at the lowest node of a plant without a lot of harm to other processes (no callus formation, no stunted growth, no weird foliage types). But it's insoluble in water, and it needs to be combined with an auxin for full effect. I'm at the point where I found a practical solution, but here too, some more work on concentration and application time needs to be done.

Kinetin, zeatin, 2-iP and other shoot inducers could use some investigation as well. There's little literature about them. As well as the good ol' coconut water, full of auxins and other hormones.

This is fun! Let's make some Frankenpines!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
[QUOTE="Wires_Guy_wires, post: 577029, member: 23695"
This is fun! Let's make some Frankenpines![/QUOTE]

I am sooo stoked!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
[QUOTE="Wires_Guy_wires, post: 577029, member: 23695"
This is fun! Let's make some Frankenpines!

I am sooo stoked![/QUOTE]
You guys are my heroes.
I would love to get to the level where I can experiment like this.

That curiosity is what eventually led me to bonsai in the first place. I love experimenting.
My ideal goal when I started (Still kind of is...) was to create a new cultivar of a tree (I love maples) based on a mix of breeding and chemicals

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would like to ask you @milehigh_7 what is the lowest temperature which the pine seedlings can safely handle during their 1st winter.
At your 9 zone would you overwinter them outside under some protection?
And if positive, what is the kind of protection you would give them?
Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I am trying to collect info from some members (h. zone similar to mine) which I can use for my own seedlings as this is the first time I am growing pine seeds.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I would like to ask you @milehigh_7 what is the lowest temperature which the pine seedlings can safely handle during their 1st winter.
At your 9 zone would you overwinter them outside under some protection?
And if positive, what is the kind of protection you would give them?
Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I am trying to collect info from some members (h. zone similar to mine) which I can use for my own seedlings as this is the first time I am growing pine seeds.

I would think 0c and above would be safe. For sure 2 or 3c...

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for your reply.
The small pots are currently put into a big jardinière in order to have some protection against the wind not to overturn them.
In fact I am thinking to move the jardinière against a wall and construct a simple frame covered with clear, hard plastic sheet so that the saplings can get sun all day long without the risk of the wind.

Top Bottom