Milestone project

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today it was testing time after 2 years running around in WErner Busch' bonsai school. Happy to share that I passed well enough to be allowed into the third year.

The exam this time consisted of styling a tree in a style we had discussed in the past within a 4 hour timeframe. Then the tree and work done was judged on 10 aspects. And as the weather is insanely warm for the time of year, we could work outside.

Before and after:

bonsaischula-10-2.jpgbonsaischula-5.jpgbonsaischula-2.jpg

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today it was testing time after 2 years running around in WErner Busch' bonsai school. Happy to share that I passed well enough to be allowed into the third year.

The exam this time consisted of styling a tree in a style we had discussed in the past within a 4 hour timeframe. Then the tree and work done was judged on 10 aspects. And as the weather is insanely warm for the time of year, we could work outside.

Before and after:

View attachment 213364View attachment 213363View attachment 213362
Congratulations, nice work.

Reaction score
Ah that's a really good job Jelle! Congratulations!
How do you think the tree is gonna survive the winter? Like, without problems? I wanna style a juniper of my own really bad too, but kinda itchy to perform big wiring, pruning and styling jobs this time of the year. I'm figuring Werner wouldn't make you do this job if it would impose hazard to the tree, but still...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it’s a great initial styling and fun exercise! Couple questions. Did you choose the stock, or was it provided? Did you consider keeping/making any Jin? Just curious! Good job. ??

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tentakelaertje I wire most of my conifers in winter. I just protect freshly wired trees from the frost. But after a month or so, I do not worry anymore, assuming daytime temps are above 5-10c during that month.

@Hartinez I was surprised, we could bring our own rawstock, or get one from his field. Testing was based on what you did with the tree, not the selection of the material. This tree came from his raw stock.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I know with time and more experience, the initial styling or setting the branch structure, will come. I still find myself pondering/debating or whatever else it can be called. I would hate to cut something that I would end up needing/wanting further on in development. But like many here have said, you have to work with what you have. I cant glue it back on so what is the use in worrying about it. I actually think I am leaving too much on the tree which makes it out of proportion. So when I see before and afters like these, it really makes me think I should be cutting/doing more, with that said, the health and vigor is #1.
I got a good number of junipers this season , that look like this(before pic), that initial bushy-ness, and I look forward to progressing with them, but still have that timid-ness, ha. I also was fortunate to get some larger material(yamadori's) and would be wicked pissed if by the time there ready(2-4 years) I still have the insecurity to prune/cut/style. we have to deal with the mistakes and use them as a lesson learned, But ya know what we say to that sometimes....@$C& it!
thanks for sharing it gives me more confidence to do a little more.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BE.REAL ensure the plant is in exceptiinal health. I removed more than I would have normally. I knew I could because it was strong, and the tree was opened up several months beforehand, ensuring lots of strong growth on the inside too.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well done jelle
Good to hear you passed !
Are there things you would have done differently when you look back at it?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You had won the "new talent contest" justifiably ...
I like youre style ... so simple is that ...

Thank you Arnold! I have had other remarks, including someone that made a public statement that I should be ashamed of the tree I made.

I like simple. To me, some of the best trees are very simple. Nature does not do complex, it does rythm and repition, which makes it look complex. But once you see the pattern, it is easy. I think I am starting to see the basic structures that make up canopies.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't believe 2 more years have passed. And I am in the middle of my second exam. 2 days long. Large art of the exam is a styling of a tree again. This time a senior pine that had been waiting for me in the stockyard for a while. Saw it today again for the first time in six months. Made a plan. Cleaned up, trimmed, wired. And ~6 hours later the initial styling is done.

For the health of the tree, I did not make what I wanted to. But.. The bottom right is what I have in mind in a few years, once the tree has recovered from the work.

Any thoughts?

pine_progress2.jpg

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Jelle,
my 50 Cents to your project are:
This is a typical "less is more tree".
Not really a literat-candidate but pretty close to that ...
The crown should be designed fairly small (after the tree regained power).
Leave just discreet parts of dead-wood on.
Therefore the bottom right draft shows the best practice for this particular pinus.

Keep on your good work ...

Top Bottom