Milwaukee Bonsai Society Show 23 thru 26 June 2022

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Milwaukee Bonsai Society is hosting a 50th Anniversary Celebration, and MABA Bonsai Show and Convention

When: June 22 - 26, 2022
Where: Four Points Milwaukee North Shore, 8900 North Kildeer Court, Milwaukee, WI, 53209

It's less than a month away, please put the date on your calendars. Everyone from Chicago should drop in for at least a day. Guest Artists are Francois Jeker and Ted Matson.

Information and Registration available on Line

MABA/Milwaukee 202Two

There are workshops, show venue, come for a day, or come for the weekend. The hotel is off Brown Deer Road, north of Milwaukee, a short drive east from hotel is the Lynden Sculpture Garden that houses the Milwaukee Bonsai Foundation's permanent bonsai collection (yes, bonsai in an art museum, not a botanic garden). A short drive further east brings you to the Schlitz - Audubon Park on the shore of Lake Michigan for fresh air and views of the top 5 largest fresh water lakes in the world.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here are the guest artisits:
Francois Jeker (France) is the author and illustrator of six books regarding bonsai aesthetics and techniques which have been translated into several languages, including a two-part practical guide on bonsai aesthetics, and a book about the dead wood in bonsai. In the bonsai world, Mr. Jeker is best known for his work on dead wood and is always willing to share his methods and techniques with others. Francois Jeker is not only a complete bonsai artist, but also a teacher and creator of seven bonsai schools around the world.

Ted Matson (California) will do a demonstration, creating a Zelkova Forest on a granite slab using trees he has been preparing for this forest. Ted Matson was honored and recognized for his great service to the art of bonsai; someone who promotes the art of bonsai and encourages effort to achieve excellence within the entire bonsai community with the Golden State Bonsai Federation’s President’s Gold Diamond Award. To impress the significance of this award, we should note only one other person has ever been bestowed this award and that was John Naka.

I believe Francois will be the judge for the trees entered in the exhibition.

Additional guest artists include:

Mark Fields (Indiana) has studied with notables such as Yuji Yoshimura, Danny Use, and Masahiko Kimura. More recently Mr. Fields has been traveling to Japan to visit and study bonsai nurseries and is working with Bjorn Bjorholm.

Byron Myrick (Mississippi) is a great American bonsai potter. Mr. Myrick received his master’s in Art Education and has spent the next 34 years as a Professor of Art at Jones Country Junior College.

Jennifer Price (Illinois) discovered bonsai after retiring from the stage as a professional ballerina. For the last several years she has been apprentice to Walter Pall and recently presented in China and Europe.

Todd Schlafer (Colorado) is a long-time enthusiast who started his Bonsai career under the tutelage of Harold Sasaki in Denver, Co and has been honing his skills under the direction of Ryan Neil of International Bonsai Mirai.

Andy Smith (So. Dakota) commonly acknowledged “king” of yamadori in this country, transplants 300-400 trees per year for bonsai and has supplied demo and workshop trees for many of the world's best bonsai artists.

Steve Carini (Wisconsin) studied with many artists and masters over the past 25 years. He has completed 10 Intensives with Bonsai Boon and is currently in his sixth year of study with Peter Tea and his fourth year of Defining Concepts with Ryan Neil.

Ron Fortmann (Wisconsin) is owner of Ancient Arts Bonsai and Bonsai has been a practitioner for 25+ years. Ron studied with Ted Matson and Peter Tea for many years and is passing this knowledge along to those just beginning their Bonsai journey by leading the Novice classes at MBS. 4 MABA/MILWAUKEE 202

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Umm..

I actually may be able to attend..

I will be "solo"...

Niko's grandmother is financing a trip for Andrea and the boys to Kentucky... the 20-27th.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Umm..

I actually may be able to attend..

I will be "solo"...

Niko's grandmother is financing a trip for Andrea and the boys to Kentucky... the 20-27th.
Nevermind! 😂😂😂

35541381-8FF8-470E-83CA-7F96FDF17E35.jpeg

Totally WORTH the money!.. that's NOT what I'm "neverminding" about, though!

😂

I'll see what I can do.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@HorseloverFat , @Carol 83 & @Dogestoevsky
To view the trees on display, and visit the vendors is FREE, open to the publicks. Exhibition and vendor areas are free access.

Demos and workshops to view, require either the daily registration fee or the full weekend registration fee.

So if you want to see Francois Jeker work his magic with deadwood on a spruce, it will cost you at least the day fee. But if you just want to hang out in the vendor area, or walk through and see the trees in the exhibit hall there is no fee - its free.

And a few miles east is the Lynden Sculpture garden, and for a mere $4 parking fee you can see the permanent bonsai collection that is housed there.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds like a great show. In a few years. When I dont have the necessary dad duties to attend to, maybe Ill take the 20hr trip out some of these shows to meet everyone.

I wont need a name tag... just look for the dude in the denim jacket with the metal back patches.

Hope to at least see some pictures.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds like a great show. In a few years. When I dont have the necessary dad duties to attend to, maybe Ill take the 20hr trip out some of these shows to meet everyone.

I wont need a name tag... just look for the dude in the denim jacket with the metal back patches.

Hope to at least see some pictures.
I used to make jackets like that... except with PUNKRock patches, studs, spikes, safety pins and animal patterns...

They went with the 13" mohawk.

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Milwaukee Bonsai Society is hosting a 50th Anniversary Celebration, and MABA Bonsai Show and Convention

When: June 22 - 26, 2022
Where: Four Points Milwaukee North Shore, 8900 North Kildeer Court, Milwaukee, WI, 53209

It's less than a month away, please put the date on your calendars. Everyone from Chicago should drop in for at least a day. Guest Artists are Francois Jeker and Ted Matson.

Information and Registration available on Line

MABA/Milwaukee 202Two

There are workshops, show venue, come for a day, or come for the weekend. The hotel is off Brown Deer Road, north of Milwaukee, a short drive east from hotel is the Lynden Sculpture Garden that houses the Milwaukee Bonsai Foundation's permanent bonsai collection (yes, bonsai in an art museum, not a botanic garden). A short drive further east brings you to the Schlitz - Audubon Park on the shore of Lake Michigan for fresh air and views of the top 5 largest fresh water lakes in the world.
Is there anything I should be aware of as far as tickets or reservations?..couldn't seem to locate any info.

Top Bottom