Mimosa Bonsai Advice

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a fairly large Mimosa (3" trunk, 24" tall) and I have no idea what they are like as bonsai. I bought the tree on impulse at an auction because it was a great deal and I mainly wanted the pot, but the tree was cool too. Any information from people WITH EXPERIENCE working with the species would be great. I'll post pictures at some point later in the week... Thanks in advance!

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a pretty crappy little one, but I've had it for a couple years and have noticed a few things. Obviously their leaves are long and compound, so you need a big one to start I think. Also, it seems like I've been getting pretty random dieback on some of the twigs. They are also very photo-sensitive, in that they turn their leaves towards the light very quickly, and I feel like they need to be turned pretty often. Also the leaves will close up on really hot days, to help keep it from burning or drying out. Aside from that they are really vigorous and thicken pretty quickly. Good luck.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The name "Mimosa" is attached to several species...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa

The "mimosa" that grows wild in the US is Albizia julibrissen, or silk tree. It is commonly called "mimosa," but really isn't...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Brian,

Can you post a photo of the tree? Would love to see what it looks like. I don't have any advice/experience (yet), though I do have one mimosa (albizia) that I am growing out...trunk size is still less than 1" so I've got quite a ways to go. There were some articles in International Bonsai in 2003 and 2008 if you have access to them. At one point I asked Bill Valavanis if there were any particular difficulties with growing/training them and he said no (his trees were pictured in one of the articles). However, he then said both of his trees had become "permanently dormant", most likely because they got too cold during the winter. You probably don't have to worry about that in your location!

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you still have this tree. Have been wanting one for a while and was wondering if you learned anything from it.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry guys! It was sold at the last REBS show (2011). Thanks for all the advice and interest though, I totally forgot about this thread. I have since moved on to some nicer, more manageable trees.

Reaction score
Mimosa Bonsai

Hi, I have a real 17 year old Mimosa Tree in the Court Garden in full view of our lounge window, it has just finished blooming after its first pruning, which removed most of the branches that would have given a magnificent display. Over three years I have tried to start cuttings and clippings to try to pot them. No luck. I have been trying to buy in the UK, but end up with a seed starter pack.

Any advice guys and girls and is any one familiar with the Mimosa sensitive plant?

Cheers from the UK :confused:

Top Bottom