mine's not big enough

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This 'tree' is the first of four generations of air layer clones I have. They were the stimulus for most of what I've learned about how trees work. So, while I have no regrets, that process left me with a few 'challenges' like this one. I think there is something to be learned just by trying. On the other hand, I am unsure what is to be learned by posting my follies here [so sue me if I don't add to this thread :mad:].

After looking at some of the entries, I thought about entering this into Smoke's progression contest, but the truth is that the trunk on this generic green Japanese maple is only about 2.25 inches. Therefore, I really cannot enter it into the contest. However, I like what the contest is trying to promote. This is a project I will be pursuing anyway even though the odds are that it will prove to be poor material :D.

Besides, it isn't the size of what you've got that matters, it is how you use it - right?

All you guys with small ones say that.
- that's what she said [ala Michael Scott|'The Office'].​

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Be careful of what you ask.
Bawahahahahha someone offer Mike a hand...he seems to have fallen into a gutter. :oops: Or have I...wait...I think Mike just pushed me into the gutter or pulled me in with him. lol shoot I too am reaching for a helping hand from the gutter...

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
3INCHES_2015-03-09.jpg
How about a photo of it...so we can watch the progression?

Several times, the pix appeared to upload, but didn't; so I gave up in disgust. The original files were about 3Meg vs a 4Meg medial file size limit. I reduced them to about 1Meg and got them to load. Maybe a bug, maybe a lot of other things, but the pix are here now.

Sorta took away all the fun 'drama' :(.

Be careful of what you ask.
Sage advice!

View media item 1075View media item 1073View media item 1074

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bawahahahahha someone offer Mike a hand...he seems to have fallen into a gutter. :oops: Or have I...wait...I think Mike just pushed me into the gutter or pulled me in with him. lol shoot I too am reaching for a helping hand from the gutter...

Sorry? You are way to nice to be in the gutter Darlene. That's why I thought I would advise caution. It's dirty down here. Hahaha!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 69068

Several times, the pix appeared to upload, but didn't; so I gave up in disgust. The original files were about 3Meg vs a 4Meg medial file size limit. I reduced them to about 1Meg and got them to load. Maybe a bug, maybe a lot of other things, but the pix are here now.

Sorta took away all the fun 'drama' :(.

Sage advice!

View media item 1075View media item 1073View media item 1074

I guess it's all in the angle of the tape measure. In the first picture it sure looks to be 3 inches.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The first three steps are done.

Now I have my fingers crossed, hoping for rampant growth of the two branches that I am aiming to convert into curvy primary and secondary trunks. But I believe it is of more immediate importance to have a strong flow of auxin and photosynthate through the areas around the chop. If this flow is weak, I think I risk loosing the cambium and roots along the center line --> converting a single trunk into two separate ones, in effect :mad:. So, I'm fertilizing heavily (Osmocote Plus).

View media item 1076View media item 1077View media item 1078
And, yes, Dav4, I did cover those roots near the trunk with more Turface MVP when I had it back in the pot (step 3b) - thanks for reminding me.

Top Bottom