Ming Aralia as bonsai candidate

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My wife bought me a tiny Ming from The Violet Barn because they said is was "good for bonsai." It's very cute, reminds me of something I would have used in a model railroad setup back in the day. I understand they are pretty abuse tolerant, but are they actually good candidates for bonsai?

The current plant is maybe 4" tall. While the leaves look like it would make a good mame bonsai or accent plant, the growth pattern suggests I'd have an easier time working with it as a larger plant.

Most of the image searches for ming bonsai just look like unstyled larger versions of what I have or like bunches of parsley glue to dead treelimbs.

What are my styling and size options with this plant, or should I give it a pass and just enjoy it as an attractive houseplant?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Attractive (woody) houseplant.

The foliage is a bugger - too big, doesn't reduce as far as I can see, can't wire it.

It's like having a permanent bad hair day.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It doesn't really produce "branches" like you'd think, so it's not a great candidate. It works best as a houseplant since most bonsai techniques don't work on it.

Top Bottom