Ming Aralia... how to style it?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had this guy for a couple years... its had some ups and downs, but has regained its vigor and is just exploding. I haven't seen a lot of bonsai examples w/ this material... its usually just a fluffy houseplant. I feel like I should style it but am not sure the best approach. Should I try to layer it by thinning areas? Lose some trunks? Big chop? Thin the lower part and go for the big canopy?

Attachments

• IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 55

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is it perhaps due to the size of the leaves?
Would it be better to prune it Like a Bonsai and keep it as a beautiful houseplant?
You might consider to keep all of the big branches/trunks but in different heights and grow it from there...?

Anyway, wait for more replies. Me... I'm still an ignorant :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I say go for it, but I like the challenge. It looks like it back buds pretty well. Loose the smallest trunk first because it is not helping anything and then reduce the branch above it since it already has growth near it's base. Give it some time to heal and slowly reduce the long straight things to close in growth. Keep an eye out for a future leader as well.

You can always give up and let it grow back out to it's former life as a houseplant, but might as well try to give it some structure.

Top Bottom