Ming Aralia is wilted after re-potting

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey folks,

I have my Ming Aralia for nearly 2 months and it has been doing well till i changed its pot 3 days ago and now it got droopy leaves and completely wilted.

The things i did during re-potting session:

I put inorganic soil mix with acadama at the botom to prevent root rot since it's really sensitive and used normal bonsai mix at the top. I pruned its roots not more than 20% and only the tangled ones very carefully. I gave moderate amount of water after i re-pot it as well.

Conditions in my house:

The temperature is around 73.4 F/ 23 C mostly
The moisture is around like 50% - 60%
It is located it south window sill and receiving good amount of indirect light all day.
I use tap water but i boil it most of the time before i use it to prevent salt burn and sodium intake.
I recently checked and there are no pets and diseases on my lovely plant

I don't know what i am doing wrong and it really bugs me a lot. This plants means so much to me and i cant let it die since its the only Ming Aralia in Turkey right now (i believe?). By the way, i measured the moisture level in soil today and it says it was insufficient and therefore i watered it more. However I also got some yellow leaves on it so i don't know if i did the right thing. Anyways, I really need your help on this one and will be waiting for your replies :)

Attachments

• 637D38F0-B60B-492C-AC84-3B91F0AFDB3B.jpeg
    637D38F0-B60B-492C-AC84-3B91F0AFDB3B.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 30
  • EDD2E39C-A2FE-42F9-B161-B11A03E6DD92.jpeg
    EDD2E39C-A2FE-42F9-B161-B11A03E6DD92.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 29
  • C553AF9C-3EB4-455D-8CAA-D966DEC5A566.jpeg
    C553AF9C-3EB4-455D-8CAA-D966DEC5A566.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 28
  • FABB26BB-226F-467B-A93A-136323420172.jpeg
    FABB26BB-226F-467B-A93A-136323420172.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 30

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks,

I have my Ming Aralia for nearly 2 months and it has been doing well till i changed its pot 3 days ago and now it got droopy leaves and completely wilted.

I put inorganic soil mix with acadama at the botom to prevent root rot since it's really sensitive and used normal bonsai mix at the top. I pruned its roots not more than 20% and only the tangled ones very carefully. I gave moderate amount of water after i re-pot it as well.

Conditions in my house:

It is located it south window sill and receiving good amount of indirect light all day.
I use tap water but i boil it most of the time before i use it to prevent salt burn and sodium intake.

I don't know what i am doing wrong and it really bugs me a lot. This plants means so much to me and i cant let it die since its the only Ming Aralia in Turkey right now (i believe?). By the way, i measured the moisture level in soil today and it says it was insufficient and therefore i watered it more. However I also got some yellow leaves on it so i don't know if i did the right thing. Anyways, I really need your help on this one and will be waiting for your replies :)
Don't know for sure, but I'd bet its too dry. and the root prune may have also had an impact. Might recover on it's own Wait and see. Keep the soil moist (not soggy)

BTW I very much doubt you have50-60 percent humidity inside your house. If so, you'd have mold on walls, etc. The interiors of houses with heat/AC tends to be in the 30-40 percent range--the Sahara desert, by comparison, has an average humidity of 25 percent. Also boiling water would tend to concentrate (not get rid of) salts and other chemicals held in suspension. Water evaporates when boiled.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Don't know for sure, but I'd bet its too dry. and the root prune may have also had an impact. Might recover on it's own Wait and see. Keep the soil moist (not soggy)

BTW I very much doubt you have50-60 percent humidity inside your house. If so, you'd have mold on walls, etc. The interiors of houses with heat/AC tends to be in the 30-40 percent range--the Sahara desert, by comparison, has an average humidity of 25 percent. Also boiling water would tend to concentrate (not get rid of) salts and other chemicals held in suspension. Water evaporates when boiled.
this particular plants is so fussy. even more than carmona lol. the only thing is wait at the moment i know. we'll see what will happen...

No I mean seriously its %58 right now. I got this Xiaomi's humidity calculator and it works pretty fine and o mold or anything like that in the house.

BTW what do you suggest about water? shouldn't i boiled it ? I believe i healed my avocada tree's leaf burn by this method :/

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this particular plants is so fussy. even more than carmona lol. the only thing is wait at the moment i know. we'll see what will happen...

No I mean seriously its %58 right now. I got this Xiaomi's humidity calculator and it works pretty fine and o mold or anything like that in the house.

BTW what do you suggest about water? shouldn't i boiled it ? I believe i healed my avocada tree's leaf burn by this method :/
Boiling water is only effective in removing organisms, NOT chemicals. Boiling water INCREASES chemical concentrations in the water that's left.

You didn't "save" your avocado tree by boiling the water you gave it. You do know that sea salt is obtained by boiling sea water and using the salt left behind once the water is evaporated out...

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Boiling water is only effective in removing organisms, NOT chemicals. Boiling water INCREASES chemical concentrations in the water that's left.

You didn't "save" your avocado tree by boiling the water you gave it. You do know that sea salt is obtained by boiling sea water and using the salt left behind once the water is evaporated out...
Thanks for the quick info i didn't know about. I though i was decreasing the chemicals when i was boiling it... so what do you suggest distilled water?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the quick info i didn't know about. I though i was decreasing the chemicals when i was boiling it... so what do you suggest distilled water?
Distilled water isn't a good idea either. Plants depend on dissolved minerals in water up to an extent. Distilled water has none. Why so anxious about the water? If you're drinking it, its fine for trees....

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one of these for a few years in a bonsai pot. They can be a bit fussy but also pretty tough overall.

Can’t let it get too dry. I keep it moist but err on the side of more moisture rather than too dry. They can drop leaves and recover just fine.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Distilled water isn't a good idea either. Plants depend on dissolved minerals in water up to an extent. Distilled water has none. Why so anxious about the water? If you're drinking it, its fine for trees....
Well the thing is the tap water in my country is disgusting is not that healthy. so we buy separate 20 lt carboy from local shops each time... that's why im obsessed with it lol

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have one of these for a few years in a bonsai pot. They can be a bit fussy but also pretty tough overall.

Can’t let it get too dry. I keep it moist but err on the side of more moisture rather than too dry. They can drop leaves and recover just fine.
the sudden change in the plant got me a lil bit freaked out honestly but this comment just made my day

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the thing is the tap water in my country is disgusting is not that healthy. so we buy separate 20 lt carboy from local shops each time... that's why im obsessed with it lol
Just because the water doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean it's going to harm your plants.

What's not healthy?--bacteria, microorganisms are one thing (harmless to plants) pH levels, suspended chemicals are another and can impact plant health, but only at certain levels.

I know people here in the States who buy all their water at the store even though their tap water is just fine "but smells chlorinny." That's fine, but it doesn't mean the water is bad, it just doesn't appeal to them. Plants don't have that issue.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
the sudden change in the plant got me a lil bit freaked out honestly but this comment just made my day
@Colorado is spot on.
This plant is a little fussy with moisture. Mine likes dry up in spots and gets crispy quick. When It doesn’t need watering, it still likes to be misted -it’s seems. Good luck!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

In certain hard water situations, some salts can be removed by boiling. This is one source of sediment build up in hot water tanks.

In these situations there will be a non-soluble sediment after boiling...probably not enough to be noticeable in a gallon or two.

But yes, in soft water, boiling generally increases salt concentrations.

urekko

Seed
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Conditions in my house:

How is your Ming aralia doing now? Have you learned any tricks for keeping it healthy? 😀

Top Bottom