mini golden gate ficus questions

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got this from Meehan's and have taken cuttings and propagated it easily with many little trees to play with.

Air layering the top
IMG01044-20120428-2015.jpg

new tree from the air layer
CIMG2441.jpg

Any advise on the bottom half as a Mame?
bonsai025.jpg

bonsai026.jpg

I have a few I'm doing the trunk fusion with but I'm not sure if they'll fuse as easily as the regular gold gate ficus or ficus Macrocarpas. Anyone has tried?
bonsai041.jpg

The leaf size on it is definitely smaller compared to the regular golden gate ficus so I'm trying to fuse them together and see what I get. Do you think I can get an in between size this way or is the finished tree going to have 2 different sizes overall?

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
Are you fusing cuttings from the same tree back onto it? If so the leaves should be similar in size eventually.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Once they fuse and you have a healthy tree defoliation will make all the leaves come back smaller, but they will revert to larger as it grows, it's a pruning battle that is an ongoing project.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you fusing cuttings from the same tree back onto it? If so the leaves should be similar in size eventually.

I'm trying to fuse the mini ones with the regular to reduce the leaf size of the regular. Just not sure what size they'll come out to be.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

i love the prune something best every evening after work. Haven't gotten tired of it yet. And I keep gaining more to work with.

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm trying to fuse the mini ones with the regular to reduce the leaf size of the regular. Just not sure what size they'll come out to be.

You should abort that plan. You will have a tree with two different sized leaves and it will not be fixable later.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
TheBearded,
Thanks for answering my question now is there another way to do it though? I know people in the far east and maybe people here have grafted smaller ficuses as seen as in Jerry Meislick's book but it requires free grafts all over the tree to achieve a even leave size, not an easy task.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Fusing won't work. You couldn't make the normal sized microcarpa leaves shrink by doing what you're thinking of. You just have to accept the leaf size of the regular microcarpa.

Top Bottom