Mini-Jade Plant, What Can I Do To Revive It?

Nanookadenord

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am thinking that keeping this plant outside here in Central Florida was a bad idea. A really bad idea. The pictures below will show the results in a before and after picture set.

I do not believe watering was the issue. As the leaves that are left are thick as they should be. There was also no yellowing it indicate over-watering. I simply think the heat was just too much. It was in our screened in balcony where it would receive at least four hours of morning sunlight. The rest of the day it was bright indirect sunlight and shaded. This morning I brought it inside and I plan on getting a 13 watt full-spectrum CFL bulb for it and it is sitting on a shelf on my computer desk.

Is there anything else I can do for it to help revive it?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Was this plant obtained recently? If so, it's just acclimatization, feeling out its new home. Not uncommon for tropicals.

As for Florida, that plant should love it right there no problem. As long as you don't keep taking it in and out and in and out, just let it go bald, it'll grow back.

Nanookadenord

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Was this plant obtained recently? If so, it's just acclimatization, feeling out its new home. Not uncommon for tropicals.

As for Florida, that plant should love it right there no problem. As long as you don't keep taking it in and out and in and out, just let it go bald, it'll grow back.

Had it since March. This is the first time that I have brought it indoors.

I am just concerned that the heat here which has been abnormally hotter than usual even for Florida is too much for it. Is there any harm in just making this an indoor tree at this point and rather than it going bald, what can I do to get it to be the way that it was?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
what can I do to get it to be the way that it was?

Do this:
don't keep taking it in and out and in and out, just let it go bald, it'll grow back.

They can take lower light, but under the screened porch may have not been enough. This plant is from South Africa so unless your porch is heating well over 100F, I doubt heat was the issue. It can take full sun. If it is outside and you are concerned about the pot/roots overheating from direct sun, just cover it with a towel or foil. Now with less leaves and indoors make sure it is drying out between watering.

Nanookadenord

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do this:

They can take lower light, but under the screened porch may have not been enough. This plant is from South Africa so unless your porch is heating well over 100F, I doubt heat was the issue. It can take full sun. If it is outside and you are concerned about the pot/roots overheating from direct sun, just cover it with a towel or foil. Now with less leaves and indoors make sure it is drying out between watering.

I'm confused.

My research on South Africa mentions highs no where near well over 100F. Most temps that I have seen in South Africa are well below a typical day in Florida.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These can take 115 F I do not think it is heat related. Is something eating it?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's root-bound and the pot is getting lots of Florida sun, then it's possible you've baked the feeder roots at the edges of the pot and that could explain why it isn't doing so well. If you have a shady spot outdoors, that might help. P. afra is hard to kill, but it's not uncommon to see them protest when something isn't right.

Nanookadenord

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it's root-bound and the pot is getting lots of Florida sun, then it's possible you've baked the feeder roots at the edges of the pot and that could explain why it isn't doing so well. If you have a shady spot outdoors, that might help. P. afra is hard to kill, but it's not uncommon to see them protest when something isn't right.

It is really only out in the sun for 4-5 hours, then the sun gets too far overhead and then it's shaded by the roof of the balcony.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is really only out in the sun for 4-5 hours, then the sun gets too far overhead and then it's shaded by the roof of the balcony.
Have you ever felt the pot after that 4 or 5 hours? I'm east of you, and we can bake casseroles in our bonsai pots over here during summer. Maybe yours isn't getting too hot, but I'd rule out the possibility if if were mine. Incidentally, we recently popped over 90 for our daily highs. It's amazing what a few degrees will do to trees that aren't properly protected from overheated pots.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a possibly related Jade plant question.
I have an old Jade that I put out for the summer a bit over a month ago - a little early since it dropped to 38 one night and some leaves suffered minor frost damage.
It seemed to be recovering slowly and growing new leaves, but I noticed some scale on its neighbor (a Ficus) and sprayed ALL my plants down with insecticidal soap. It seemed fine with this. But then about 3 days ago, I retreated with the insecticidal soap as well as some bee-safe organocide. I did this the day before a rain so they wouldn't stay on the plants too long. The jade still seemed fine, but today, it's suddenly been dropping leaves at the slightest touch. Plump, healthy-looking, green leaves just falling off. No wilting or signs of insects or fungus on the remaining leaves or fallen leaves. No sign of rot, roots feel strong and it's in well-drained soil. It lost close to half its leaves in the matter of an hour or so.

I don't think it was the heat in my case - although yesterday was the hottest day of the summer so far, it was only 80.

I can't figure out what's wrong with the tree and it sounded similar to what you had happen. Did you treat your jade with anything?

All I can think is that they are CAM plants, unlike most other commonly kept plants, so some chemicals might affect them differently from other plants.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
As others have mentioned, seems like a root issue. I would maybe repot it up into some better draining soil. I think summer is best to pot succulents right?
They grow native here and we get 100+ days so the weater in FL should be fine.

Top Bottom