Mini japanese mountain has downward bud -- remove?

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Should I remove this bud growing downwards?

If yes, do I remove it now or wait a bit?

IMG_20200329_111818.jpg

IMG_20200329_111344_1.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't like the longer of the two branches above it - I would remove that one instead.

That bud you asked about, the lowest one on the right, pointing down, I would keep for now. As it grows, it should curve upward and might become interesting. Regardless, for this season, it will help to fill out (thicken) the trunk below it.

I also think you have too many shoots at the top of the tree. I would either wire that long straight one to not be so straight or prune it off. One of the curvy shoots on the right could be let run to form your next trunk section. or one of those on the left if you want the trunk to continue going left.

Last edited:

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would remove it. You can remove growth like this anytime. Although more pics would help. I think your probably correct in removing it though.
That’s a nice little tree. You’re lucky you live in Japan. How much does a mini like this cost over there?

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually by the "rules" all 3 on that side are inside of a bend and should not be there. However that one is in bad spot unless planning to grow tree as a Cascade in which case would be perfect as is;). However bigger concern may be(I think)they grow from graft stock instead of the grafted part. Two on other side may be also? Are upper tree leaves and lower leaves different? That would tell.

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
I would remove it. You can remove growth like this anytime. Although more pics would help. I think your probably correct in removing it though.
That’s a nice little tree. You’re lucky you live in Japan. How much does a mini like this cost over there?

I think I got a pretty good deal as it only cost me $15. I figure the pot alone is nearly worth that price!

More pics:

IMG_20200329_163602b.jpgIMG_20200329_163701b.jpgIMG_20200329_163716b.jpgIMG_20200329_1637092.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with 0soyoung The existing branches there are in a good location but long internodes will make it difficult to develop short, dense branches. That little one will have shorter internodes as the upper ones take most of the energy. Keep it and plan to use it to replace the 2 above when it has grown a little.
long internodes make it very difficult to grow compact branches and apex on JM. keep removing thicker shoots with long internodes and make your structure with the finer twigs. Leaving several shoots growing close together is a recipe for thick swellings on JM so always reduce multiple shoots as soon as possible.

kobusbonsainut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If there is no risk in reverse taper/swelling i would let everything grow to get the energy back in the tree. If it is harden of I would remove the unwanted branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaving several shoots growing close together is a recipe for thick swellings on JM

What species was the tree you showed us that you didn't mind them on?
Forgive me. I thought you meant you allow growth like that on every tree.
Could you explain?

Thanks!

Oh. Me. ... OP
I agree there are other places to aim your concern.

With the threes almost everywhere else, that is the only bud that WOULDN'T hold my concern.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You conserve the amount of energy that will be used to grow that bud into a leaf or twig or branch by nipping it sooner rather than later. If you want the ancillary effects of a sacrifice branch, so be it. Otherwise any energy expended one place cannot be used elsewhere. The tree has some finite amount of energy that it will devote to this period's growth. Use it here or there or anywhere, but once used, that's it. The mass that you allow to grow that you later cut off could have been used as a permanent part of the tree, -if that's what you want.

matcha_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info, everyone!

This will be the first time I prune so I want to be careful haha

Can someone edit one of the photos to show me exactly the places where they would cut so I know for sure? I have no specific goals yet... Just keeping the tree healthy and whatever the easiest shape to maintain is best for me, for now.

Would be very helpful! Thanks

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t see how that branch should/could ever replace the branch above it. The one above it is bifurcated very close to the trunk and in a much better position.
If you leave it it could cause swelling in a bad spot and thickening the trunk is never gonna happen with this branch and tree and pot. This a mini, I would not be concerned about thinking the trunk. Just my opinion, lots of ways to do bonsai!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What species was the tree you showed us that you didn't mind them on?
Forgive me. I thought you meant you allow growth like that on every tree.
Could you explain?
Maybe a misunderstanding Sorce. I rarely leave branches close together because of the problems with local swelling. I think the tree you refer to is a trident maple. Even on those I try to space out the sacrifice branches a bit. If I'm right about the photo you may remember that trunk did have reverse taper because those branches were just a bit too close while it was growing.

Top Bottom