Mini petrified wood

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've never seen petrified wood that wasn't glassy in finish. Are you sure what this is?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never seen petrified wood that wasn't glassy in finish. Are you sure what this is?
Looks like it to me. Notice the grain on left side of last pic and vessel structures on the interior wall of the 1st image. The classic North American petrified wood is the silica mineralized fossils from Arizona. Unpolished most of it is pretty dull. However this fossil still has some vessel structures, possibly indicating another type of mineralization. Drop some vinegar on it and see if it fizzes, it might be calcite. But it is likely just quartz (silica) that has not completely inundated the wood. It might polish on a flat section, but polishing is really hard when you have holes. They fill with the different polish grit making it difficult to get a finer and finer finish.

Cool specimen!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The chunks of petrified wood I used to find where I grew up in Washington often looked just like regular unpetified driftwood along the riverbank near my house. You could easily see the rings, knots, etc. Usually pretty dull in appearance like this.

Top Bottom