Mini Rootpouch

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I notice Rootpouch comes in pint and quart sizes now.Or at least I never noticed them before.I seen the pint size being advertised at 2” and also 3” so I ordered 20 each of pint and quart.
These prune by entrapment pruning rather than air pruning.I am quite excited about using them with seedlings I am starting early indoors.
Seems a win win if they will actually force a tap root to branch out in a 3” pot.
Their are different weight fabrics to dial in degradation times when in soil.
I will cut the pots shorter and turn inside out for a round pot shape.The little pots also need to be crowded in flats or inserts,as they don’t really stand on their own.
I think it is interesting also how you can also use heavier weaves to actually store trees in ground for Winter and do not have to worry about roots growing through,whilst maintaining entrapment pruning(roots prune essentially from getting tangled in the fabric) not air pruning.
We’ll see.
Nice concept anyway!
Root Pouch is only manufacturer that claims entrapment pruning,so is beneficial to store pouches in ground if need be.
Here is link...
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com...nth?returnurl=/containers-trays/bags-pouches/

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd think that when put in the ground, they kind of lose the 'air pruning' effect since there is no air surrounding the pot. Entrapment pruning is what I've tried with very shallow containers, it works to some extent but nearly half of all seedlings still make a taproot. What's even worse, is that those taproots coil up and get as fat as the trunk above.
But please, do give it a try! I'd like to know how plants respond to these things in particular.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
entrapment pruning

Putting another trees fertilizer on the table next to the tree....
And when the root comes out to get it....
Chop it off?

WTF is entrapment pruning.
Sounds like some BS!

S

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Root Pouch is only manufacturer that claims entrapment pruning,so is beneficial to store pouches in ground if need be.

Rootmaker also has a RootTrapper fabric system, but smallest size is 1 gal and they are way more expensive.
https://rootmaker.com/rootmaker-system

Sounds like some BS!

It does! But these created some great root rootballs just full of branching roots. Almost all of my deciduous starts in Rootmaker/Trapper pots had better roots, more branching on top, were taller, and larger caliper.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/field-growing-soil-prep.28935/page-2#post-480431

I’ve gotten pretty good at growing a fast, thick tree! Unfortunately root pruning pots don’t magically create good root flare, pruning roots and laying them out on the repot does.

I started some English Oak seeds in Rootmaker flats this year and they worked great to air prune the strong tap root. But cutting it off also worked for the others in 3” pots and the grew about the same.

However, I’ve seen Teleperion Farms sell material in Rootmaker pots and it appears they ground grow some things in root trapping/constricting bags. So they must also see the benefit in creating branched roots close to the trunk.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the fact they entrap roots and can put the pouch in ground come winter for protection....where other bags let roots grow through really defeats the purpose.
This Spring I am putting ground layers straight in the pouches on a saucer to get an extra season thickening for my Zelkova Brooms and also to harden the roots for stability and then sink the pouch into the ground for winter storage and hopefully not have to worry about the removal from ground process of cutting roots and all. And also have the layers in a much lighter soil.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Putting another trees fertilizer on the table next to the tree....
And when the root comes out to get it....
Chop it off?

Sounds like some BS!

S
Entrapment pouches entangle the roots in the pouch which forces branching and non circling roots instead of air pruning.
The roots do not grow out the pouches which is why they are good for putting in the ground.....
In theory......first time user,but Rootpouch brand videos are convincing!
Seems everyone thinks that all pouches air prune... including myself until I researched the other day the Rootpouch brand

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are the Pint size ones.They make a nice little seedling pouch after I roll the sides down.
I’m testing the Miracle Gro perlite evaporation time for my indoor starts.
I like how there is aeration all around ,similiar to a colander.
If these stop circling roots and force branching of the root.....that’s the bomb!
I have early Pine starts going into these and in a couple months, more Zelkova.

Attachments

• 490B5484-3443-49BD-A623-EF035384AB1D.jpeg
    490B5484-3443-49BD-A623-EF035384AB1D.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
killer Rootpouch!!

I plant everything in these minis and quarts too.
JBP seedling at 5 months!!
Out of a 1pint and into a 1quart!

Attachments

• E5BDDB12-A1CA-435D-8003-DEBE3CCDD5D3.jpeg
    E5BDDB12-A1CA-435D-8003-DEBE3CCDD5D3.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1D90EB2B-2102-4BE8-AA79-B2C100A7A024.jpeg
    1D90EB2B-2102-4BE8-AA79-B2C100A7A024.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 6578FED6-1DD1-46A4-8859-4C22C92ECC74.jpeg
    6578FED6-1DD1-46A4-8859-4C22C92ECC74.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 4F41BD2C-7F9C-4C4A-AA93-18AC9884E238.jpeg
    4F41BD2C-7F9C-4C4A-AA93-18AC9884E238.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 54

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that's pretty serious!!!
Thanks!
They are very cool.Increase root density to the max literally 3/4” from the trunk at the very start.In my eyes that is the way to go...especially so there is a better chance of not having to murder roots to fit in a bonsai pot some day.
You can actually remove the Rootpouch any time during grow season since there is virtually no root pruning to shock the plant.
I love these things.
I wait till’ the pots are very dense and hard before I remove them.
Capable of making tree SUPER vigorous.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems that the only down-side is that one needs some special holder to keep the bagged tree upright - n'est pas?

Have you ever tried to comb the roots once the bag, hard with roots, was removed? IOW, I'm curious if the roots are in a snarl or nicely radial.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems that the only down-side is that one needs some special holder to keep the bagged tree upright - n'est pas?

Have you ever tried to comb the roots once the bag, hard with roots, was removed? IOW, I'm curious if the roots are in a snarl or nicely radial.
Here is the honker from above when I planted it.
I’m optimistic they are not circling or entangled.I truly believe they entangle in the fabric very quickly.....and branch.
Next repotting,I will remove a little top layer to see the nebari.
These excell with propogation if you ask me...early on.
67BCBA19-E83C-497C-8F8A-321087E1018B.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’ve been searching and posting inquiries here about trunk growth (girth) in pots. My research has ended, like the OP here: I’ve selected grow bags. I just repotted all of my young plants in grow bags, 2-3 gallon size.

They’re dirt cheap and serve the same purpose as a grow box or pond basket.

VIVOSUN 5-Pack 2 Gallon Grow Bags Heavy Duty Thickened Nonwoven Fabric Pots with Handles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UBLDUBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NMbvEbP06FF44

@Osoyoung The bigger bags stand on their own just fine and the substrate doesn’t shift around, they’re quite stout. Also, the videos and pictures I’ve seen show a dense root ball of fine radial feeder roots. Once a root reaches the bag/air it stops growing, does not circle, and a new root begins to grow somewhere more proximal to the tree. I believe that using these is not about nebari formation/refinement but more about tree growth. Once I get the trunk sizes I want, they will go into training pots and start addressing nebari.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Isn't the fabric supposed to prevent the roots from passing through?

Top Bottom