mini yamadori elm

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I collected this 2 1/2 - 3" tall elm this year and potted it in a half of one of those clear ball shaped cases panty hose comes in. Lol. It seems to like it just fine. Has an interesting little curvy trunk.

2011-09-18_20-35-12_704.jpg

The rocks are to give it weight so it doesn't blow over and to keep the soil from washing out of the tiny "pot".

Will B.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Will... Does this pot have drainage holes on the bottom? If not, the tree will get rot root and die. It would need at least 2-3 holes on the bottom for the water to drain. Also, a tree in this small of a pot, if left in the sun, would probably need to be watered every 3-4 hours or so.

Elms are one of the fastest growing trees for bonsai. However, keep in mind to make a nice bonsai from this seedling will take many years. If you want to speed up the process.. You could plant it in a larger terra cotta pot. You could also plant it in a collander. The kind used to drain pasta. The third option would be to plant it back in the ground. These 3 methods will all make a tree grow faster than if planted in a smaller pot.

Rob

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
October,

Thanks for the reply! To reassure you this pot indeed has four holes in the bottom and this little tree is kept in mostly shade till about the four or five. I want this tree to stay mame sized that's why its in this tiny pot. I have others I collected from the same place in the ground to grow fat and use for shohin and larger.

Correct anything I said is wrong.

Thanks

Will B.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is good that there are drainage holes.. Actually, this is a seedling, not yet a mame.. Although it is true that mame are generally 1-3 inches, many times, they still resemble full size trees. You have more a mame in training.

This is not one of my trees, but it is an outstanding example of a mame.

Attachments

• bonsai-mame[1].jpg
    bonsai-mame[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 101

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I know its a long way off from convincing but I just collected it and ill let it grow and maybe in a few years it'll look much better. That picture you provided is outstanding work!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A good mame has the same general proportions as a full sized tee/bonsai. Yours will not develop a thicker or tapered trunk unless it is planted in a larger shallow pot and is chopped regularly.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
could anyone tell me the type of elm this is? or is it too young to know? it came from a landscape tree if that helps...

Top Bottom