miniature jade dropping leaves

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 2 in the same pot. 1 is dropping leaves and the other is fine. The one that is dropping leaves is also still growing some but drooping leave 1 branch at a time

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are the leaves turning yellow before they drop? Could you provide any pictures?

It may just be normal leaf drop but a photo will allow us to see if anything else is getting at it. They really prefer dry feet so over water/under drainage could cause that.

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are the leaves turning yellow before they drop? Could you provide any pictures?

It may just be normal leaf drop but a photo will allow us to see if anything else is getting at it. They really prefer dry feet so over water/under drainage could cause that.

no there staying green. and its not letting me upload pictures just sits there trying to load them

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
no there staying green. and its not letting me upload pictures just sits there trying to load them

You might try a third party image hosting site.

So just entire branches are dying off? Or the leaves are drooping?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These trees will shed a bit come fall and winter. However, these trees are succulents. The same family that cactus are from. These trees like to be on the dryer side with plenty of sun. Also temps around mid 60's - mid 70's for winter. Water only when the soil is dry and give it as much sun as possible.

Rob

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These trees will shed a bit come fall and winter. However, these trees are succulents. The same family that cactus are from. These trees like to be on the dryer side with plenty of sun. Also temps around mid 60's - mid 70's for winter. Water only when the soil is dry and give it as much sun as possible.

Rob

That is what I'm doing. One of the 2 in the pot Are fine. Its just the one

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If that is what you are doing, then it is now up to the tree. Perhaps it wants to go through this cycle of shedding and it in not complete yet. It could also be that there was too much water at the bottom of the pot and now it is just stressed. I would say just keep doing what you are doing. Also,don't give up hope. Even of the tree loses practically all it's leaves. If the tree is still alive, it will grow them back. Good luck.

Rob

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know if it can really b over watered because it has very well draining bonsai soil and the pot is only about 1 inch deep.and I've never seen a jade shed its leaves

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ok it let me load them now

Attachments

• DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0142.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0141.jpg
    DSC_0141.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 35

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would get rid of the humidity tray. Maybe the pot the tree is in is sitting in some water. This would create a problem. Humidity trays really don't do much. They are not necessary. Especially with a tree that is a succulent

Rob

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
trust me

even in your soil and pot they can be overwatered, trust me.

Nick Lenz idea of watering a Sierra Juni here to put water next to it, I think that pertains to these mini jades too.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Each and every Succulent we have get water during the indoor Winter months every 6-8 weeks. If you get water on the plant at all or keep them wet they just rot away. They were expensive and it took killing a few to figure it out. They get 16 hours of grow light on a timer. some of them bloom as well as Cacti which we winter the same way.

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would get rid of the humidity tray. Maybe the pot the tree is in is sitting in some water. This would create a problem. Humidity trays really don't do much. They are not necessary. Especially with a tree that is a succulent

Rob

i dont put water in the humidity trays. i just use them for drip trays. and it was completely dry. should they be left dry for any length of time?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just water sparingly when the soil dries out. As long as the tree is in the right temps and getting a lot of light. It should be ok. It is sometimes tough to say when to water a particular tree. Different trees require different watering practices. Even same species trees can require different watering frequencies.

Rob

PSchaff

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Succulent Care

I grow a lot of succulents out in CA and this looks like Portulacaria Afra.

There's a couple of things that I wanted to discuss:

1. I can't see what type of soil you've got in there. Succulents can pretty much live in anything as long as you don't over water them (forgive me if you've heard it before). And they don't take much water. It looks like you've got a top coat with other soil underneath. My suggestion, at least as to soil, would be to check these babies roots to see what's going on down there. There may not be much at all and you are dealing with recent clippings.

2. Succulents for the most part are light lovers. If you've got these indoors then they're growth will be drastically reduced. That can also cause leaf loss. It looks like most of you're loss is on the lower branches underneath the main canopy. Looks like more light is in order.

3. I agree with the other folks who have chimed in. No humidity tray necessary. In fact, that may be one of your problems as to too much water.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom