Mint (and other plants) syrup

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mint syrup with water is a popular drink for kids -but not only, in the summer.

I have several species of mint, and syrup is so easy to make:

- Mint leaves
- Water

Let it rest for a couple of days (no need to heat it), filter, and add sugar.

Since I decandled black pines and trimmed some larch, I innovated. Yesterday, I put them in a jar, added water and it already tastes "like conifer". Today I added some mint: African mint (very narrow leaves), "chocolate" mint and "ginger" mint.

I might add some honey instead of sugar for a change - should be very soothing for a heavy smoker like me.

You can the add the syrup to tea, water, rhum,... It keeps at least a week in the fridge, probably longer, it never lasted longer actually. Or make ice-cubes in the freezer for iced tea.

Of course, you can replace water with alcohol (45° white rhum is OK here, it's rather cheap and pretty decent).
In that case, I always add some spices in low quantity: 3 cloves, a few orange peels (zest, rinds?...), whatever: one can always innovate but the added spices must stay discreet, not to overtake the taste of the plants.

sirop_170616a.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've never heard of any kids drinking this.
It sounds positively revolting.

Different places, different cultures.

When my kids were thirsty, I didn't give them Coca-Cola.

Now they're not obese. They'll live a longer healthy life.

It's like many things: what you teach your children is the key to their future.

A healthy body, a sound mind.

@Vin :

Vodka? Yes. But I like it between cups of tea, a gulp of wodka, a sip of tea, and pieces of toast with chicken, or pork, with gherkins and dill in-between, and everyone singing along :D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Mull several springs of mint with ice & syrup, add 3 ounces Kentucky bourbon, splash of water to top up the glass, mix, serve = Mint Julep. Official drink of the Kentucky Derby, and a great summer cocktail. Some use southern comfort in addition to bourbon, I prefer the bourbon only version.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Mull several springs of mint with ice & syrup, add 3 ounces Kentucky bourbon, splash of water to top up the glass, mix, serve = Mint Julep. Official drink of the Kentucky Derby, and a great summer cocktail. Some use southern comfort in addition to bourbon, I prefer the bourbon only version.

I love a mint julep. The wife and I have them sometimes in the evening.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I started to drink tea when I gave up coffee and occasionally mint tea is in my cabinet. I've never thought of growing my own mint leaves to use.
We don't drink soda in my house because it's the devil, my kids mostly only ever have water. This mint drink sounds like a good idea for refreshing on a summer day.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I started to drink tea when I gave up coffee and occasionally mint tea is in my cabinet. I've never thought of growing my own mint leaves to use.
We don't drink soda in my house because it's the devil, my kids mostly only ever have water. This mint drink sounds like a good idea for refreshing on a summer day.

We grow a couple of planters full of Chocolate Mint here every year which I am certain is available there too. It took a couple times to figure out quantity but I can tell by the color now when to stop simmering it in water while it freshens the house :p I cool it down and strain the liquid into 3 2qt and a 1gal pitcher. I add 1/3 cup of sugar to every two quarts and put them all in the freezer. People that have had it now request it when they visit :)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore now the syrup is an awesome idea!!

First batch after cutting to 3 - 4 inch branches, rinsing, and removing bad leaf. This is a 1 1/2 gallon batch -

IMG_1262.JPG

I bring it to a simmer at 6 on the dial for the burner. Much of the leaf turns brown at first but goes back to green as it simmers down. I let it simmer until all of the stems turn white. I use a fine strainer and pour it off into containers for storage or freezing. At that point I top off the containers with some water to accommodate for evaporation and mix in sugar. This year I used raw sugar, 1/4 cup per 2 quarts. Nice and refreshing chilled, mixed, etc...

IMG_1265.JPG

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First batch after cutting to 3 - 4 inch branches, rinsing, and removing bad leaf. This is a 1 1/2 gallon batch -

View attachment 154488

I bring it to a simmer at 6 on the dial for the burner. Much of the leaf turns brown at first but goes back to green as it simmers down. I let it simmer until all of the stems turn white. I use a fine strainer and pour it off into containers for storage or freezing. At that point I top off the containers with some water to accommodate for evaporation and mix in sugar. This year I used raw sugar, 1/4 cup per 2 quarts. Nice and refreshing chilled, mixed, etc...

View attachment 154490

Grimmy

Looks like a great spot for some Gin.....heheheeee..;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore Awesome!!! That is pretty cool the leaves go brown then back to green!

Pretty certain it is the "brown" leaving the plant. As I noted I can remove the greens when the stems are white and then the liquid is really deep brown and robust in flavor. I really never noted it after doing it many years but last weekend I spent another couple hours on the Serrisa roots on the patio off the kitchen so I was in and out getting beers and cooling off in the AC and checked it more often :rolleyes: Honest I am glad I did as it really took a lot less time then I recall - used to just let it simmer a few hours and this was far less time, perhaps 1 1/2 - 2 hours after it started to simmer.

Grimmy

Top Bottom