Mirai blog on watering

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Where are you guys seeing that figure in that article? All I got from the article the URL links to is that there is a Horst Herbert Witt in Bad Zwischenahn that is a German plant physiologist who studies root growth and the information in the quote you pasted Baku1875. The inclusion of that graph in a lecture without better citation seems sketchy or at best random (i.e. "this fits with my intuition so I'll put up this random thing I found on Reddit and hope that there was real science behind it").

I attached the full length article directly to this post. Is this the article you're seeing the figure put up in the lecture? The closest thing I found in the article is figure 2 on p209 but that is for malus. In the lecture he specifically states that there is a different but similar chart for deciduous trees that also appears in the same book...er...article. He also states that the chart for deciduous trees was "spikier" while figure 2 for malus shows a much more rounded (simplified) shape than the one included in the lecture for conifers. Horst's article makes no mention of Pinus sylvestris. I'm guessing it was a personal communication where someone had read this article and then wrote Horst Witt for his data. Or maybe it was something published on Horst Witt's personal science blog. (Also "Volume 21 of the International Symposium on Conifer Studies that focused on bonsai"?)

Attachments

• actahortic.1997.450.24.pdf
    256 KB · Views: 4
  • Figure 2.png
    Figure 2.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 6

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nothing else to talk about/show at the time?
I’m in the venture capital world so have my hands in different professions and fields and to be honest, it’s rarely due to this. You can see it in pretty much any discipline;

Finance: Sure at its simplest level, tell me how much money I’m making via profit and loss statement. However, there’s differences between that definition; Ebidta, gross profit, GAAP earnings, etc. Even within the calculation of ebidta, did we take into account fair market value of resources(is there owner involvement that’s subsidized, etc.) or how about capex? Don’t get me started on CAGR calculation for the different capex. Etc etc etc. And that’s just profit and loss. We haven’t even talked about balance sheet, depreciation and amortization schedules, etc.

Could we keep it simple and just ask how do we make money? Sure if it’s a basic lemonade stand, not so much if it’s a MNC or publicly traded company.

Rinse and repeat the same in pretty much any discipline/field/profession. You cannot fault the higher technical-competence professionals for pursuing and sharing the info as it helps a deeper understanding and eventually a practical-every-day improvement(heck, many of the now-standard vehicle features were initially tested and used in Formula 1 racing, etc.). I am actually really glad there are such individuals/professionals who are willing to dedicate their effort/time/lives to these extremes cause I truly believe we all eventually benefit.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
agreed.

I have quickly learned that some experts have a knack for making straightforward processes in bonsai feel very difficult. I at times wonder why...
Have to justify keeping the staff around?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What is content creation? Content creation is the process of generating topic ideas that appeal to your buyer persona, creating written or visual content around those ideas, and making that information accessible to your audience as a blog, video, infographic, or other content formats.

Thats all Mirai is doing.
Pretty sure he's covered watering before though. So they need to put a different spin on it to make it interesting for the folk who rely on the info.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have quickly learned that some experts have a knack for making straightforward processes in bonsai feel very difficult. I at times wonder why...
I've noticed this tendency too.
Maybe it is a way to make themselves feel important. That they have mastered something that is really difficult.
Then again, some people just seem to want to make simple things difficult. You've seen some of the beginner posts here asking questions as if mundane bonsai or plant growth things are brain surgery.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is content creation? Content creation is the process of generating topic ideas that appeal to your buyer persona, creating written or visual content around those ideas, and making that information accessible to your audience as a blog, video, infographic, or other content formats.

Thats all Mirai is doing.
Pretty sure he's covered watering before though. So they need to put a different spin on it to make it interesting for the folk who rely on the info.

Agreed

I've been in the content creation realm before, trying to come up with topics for a quarterly publication with fairly narrow subject matter/range of topics. After a while you start to run out of ideas for new content.

Trying to compare to the very complex world of finance...it's apples to moon rocks.

Also, I never said that I don't appreciate people like Bjorn and Ryan. I do and I have watched many of their videos. Sometimes, albeit rare, they make it seem needlessly complicated.

I think that tends to scare people more often than not

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed

I've been in the content creation realm before, trying to come up with topics for a quarterly publication with fairly narrow subject matter/range of topics. After a while you start to run out of ideas for new content.

Trying to compare to the very complex world of finance...it's apples to moon rocks.

Also, I never said that I don't appreciate people like Bjorn and Ryan. I do and I have watched many of their videos. Sometimes, albeit rare, they make it seem needlessly complicated.

I think that tends to scare people more often than not
I think, depending on the viewers skill level, some techniques should scare people. Early on I got way too ambitious more than a few times. 😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think, depending on the viewers skill level, some techniques should scare people. Early on I got way too ambitious more than a few times. 😂
Isnt that the same for all of us at some point, a little beginners enthusiasm, nothing wrong it. Main thing is that you gained experience and can learn from the mistakes. and dont be deterred from carrying on.
I'd even say dont be overawed by what others with higher skill levels can do, instead be inspired.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's not really what I'm talking about though.

The best example I can give is I was asked to lead a discussion about Japanese black pine care and development at our bonsai club. JBP aren't all that complicated, but by the time I got through all the details of repotting, fertilizing, candle cutting, needle plucking and winter care, every one's eyes were glazed over and they almost all swore never to get a JBP.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not really what I'm talking about though.

The best example I can give is I was asked to lead a discussion about Japanese black pine care and development at our bonsai club. JBP aren't all that complicated, but by the time I got through all the details of repotting, fertilizing, candle cutting, needle plucking and winter care, every one's eyes were glazed over and they almost all swore never to get a JBP.
Ah, I understand. Sorry, I was just being a goof. I definitely didn't mean to derail. I can relate to the difficulty in finding the right balance of detail and information provided.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
IF this is how you agree with people, I am curious how you load pages of countering text in an argument.
I was just adding that rain can help lower pH of soil and add available nitrogen, thus having a positive effect other than hydration.

Why would you make a passive aggressive comment like this in response?

Why would you be curious about 'how i load pages of countering text in an argument?' I'm just here to have informative discussions and share knowledge and information.

the pH of rain can be as low as 5 in many places, and as part of the nitrogen cycle, it is extremely beneficial to plant health when compared to chlorine rich high pH tap water. There's nothing to be offended about if I want to add this information to the discussion, and in no way is it a criticism of anything you already said.

Last edited:

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Where are you guys seeing that figure in that article? All I got from the article the URL links to is that there is a Horst Herbert Witt in Bad Zwischenahn that is a German plant physiologist who studies root growth and the information in the quote you pasted Baku1875. The inclusion of that graph in a lecture without better citation seems sketchy or at best random (i.e. "this fits with my intuition so I'll put up this random thing I found on Reddit and hope that there was real science behind it").

I attached the full length article directly to this post. Is this the article you're seeing the figure put up in the lecture? The closest thing I found in the article is figure 2 on p209 but that is for malus. In the lecture he specifically states that there is a different but similar chart for deciduous trees that also appears in the same book...er...article. He also states that the chart for deciduous trees was "spikier" while figure 2 for malus shows a much more rounded (simplified) shape than the one included in the lecture for conifers. Horst's article makes no mention of Pinus sylvestris. I'm guessing it was a personal communication where someone had read this article and then wrote Horst Witt for his data. Or maybe it was something published on Horst Witt's personal science blog. (Also "Volume 21 of the International Symposium on Conifer Studies that focused on bonsai"?)
It's worth investigating, and it's a shame that it wasn't clearly cited in the ABAS lecture with Jonas. I appreciate your search for leads on the information. Witt passed away in 2007.

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I base my mixes on, as I cannot shelter all my trees from rain. With 184 precipitation days that means my pots DRAIN.
@leatherback I've got some questions for you regarding this because you live close by.
I saw on your YT channel (btw I like your channel) that your mix consist of 1 part clay, 1 part vulcanic, 1 part organic.

As a beginner, I talked to some bonsaipro's and they said that seramis and terramol was "funky". They said it staid wet too long. Maybe they wanted to sell me some akadama :)

1) But you seem to like it, do you think seramis or terramol stays wetter or longer wet than akadama (in summer and winter)?
2) Do you still use pine bark? Doesn't pine bark stays very wet in the winter in Netherlands or Belgium? Wetter than seramis and terramol? Have you tried a mix without bark?
3) Do you water daily with your mix? Kinda like Walter Pall from March to October or do you examine every tree individual each day if it needs water?

regards

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not see the problems some claim. I DO find teramol/seramis on its own staying wet very long. Which is why I started mixing it. I am a BIG fan of Pumice now too, also because I have good access through Bonsai Museum Dusseldorf.

I have never had problems with bark, and always have 2-3 bags in stock to add to pots when mixing.

To be honest, I think my trees are rubbish because I do not use akadama. I have killed some plants in akadama, only to find muck in the pot. I do not understand why people are such big fans, but in some circles that is the same as admitting you do not know bonehsigh.

Nuffel

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not see the problems some claim. I DO find teramol/seramis on its own staying wet very long. Which is why I started mixing it. I am a BIG fan of Pumice now too, also because I have good access through Bonsai Museum Dusseldorf.

I have never had problems with bark, and always have 2-3 bags in stock to add to pots when mixing.

To be honest, I think my trees are rubbish because I do not use akadama. I have killed some plants in akadama, only to find muck in the pot. I do not understand why people are such big fans, but in some circles that is the same as admitting you do not know bonehsigh.
Thank you @leatherback !!
Does that mean that from now on you only use pumice for the volcanic part? So no lava or something else?
And then still a 1/1/1 mix, so 1 clay / 1 pumice / 1 bark?

"I think my trees are rubbish"... typo ??? :)

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you @leatherback !!
Does that mean that from now on you only use pumice for the volcanic part? So no lava or something else?
And then still a 1/1/1 mix, so 1 clay / 1 pumice / 1 bark?

"I think my trees are rubbish"... typo ??? :)

Yeah. I didn't really follow, either.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
i also find bark to be less retentive than akadama and clay pebble types. evaporates more easily but provides similar benefits.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mix and remix my substrate. In fact, the last week I have spent every day half an hour sifting substrate. Just 15 gallons to go and I am done for the year.

So I add to have I have. Pumice works well. But I have fake lava (expanded shale) VERY cheaply here in the hardware store. It is very light and dry (hydrofoob initially) though. But my mix is not a mix of perhaps 6 components. And I just add what is available when I can get it.

Top Bottom