MIRAI LINDEN

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a small leaf linden (Tilia Cordata) purchased from Mirai in September 2018. This tree was featured in a couple of Mirai Live streams last year. The tree is estimated to be around 25 years old although the bark already shows great character and color modulations that are typical of older lindens. It is is native to Europe and is an extremely vigorous species that buds back profusely with nice, pliable branches even those that are old. Below are some "action" shots of Ryan Neil working on this tree in one of his live streams back in January of 2018. Here he is changing the future direction of the tree going from a more dense and conical silhouette to a more open and deciduous-like structure.

The tree was originally field grown by Randy knight. It was then owned and worked by Jason Gamby who might have styled it in collaboration with Walter Pall at some point before Ryan purchased it circa 2010. It stands 21" tall from soil level with a 5" trunk.

Here is the linden when it first arrived at my garden in early September 2018. Beautiful yellow autumn color on heart shaped leaves.

Here is the tree as it looks now. No work yet except trimmed back a couple of branches. Below is Ryan's intended front although now quite a bit grown out and in need of work. Last spring, the tree was completely defoliated by deer at Mirai. Ryan left it be for the remainder of the year.

Here is the back which I am considering with some alterations to make it into the new front.

The trunk is powerful and full of character. The winter red buds look beautiful against the rough and old dark gray bark.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet tree. The buds are beautiful (I have 2 of these in my growing bed so I'm familiar with them). Leaf size seems to reduce nicely. Those clusters of buds on the trunk
are interesting - were branches removed from those areas recently? I don't think I've ever heard Ryan recommend the deer pruning method :)

Know anything about the pot?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet tree. The buds are beautiful (I have 2 of these in my growing bed so I'm familiar with them). Leaf size seems to reduce nicely. Those clusters of buds on the trunk
are interesting - were branches removed from those areas recently? I don't think I've ever heard Ryan recommend the deer pruning method :)

Know anything about the pot?

The crazy cluster of buds is where thick branches were removed last January. No idea on the pot. Have not taken a look to be honest. Knowing Ryan is probably American or perhaps European. I don't love the pot or the color. I think eventually I will be looking for something else for this tree. Most likely work on it this coming spring.

No pics for me. That happens every now and then on this site. Any idea why?

Sorry I don't. Perhaps the admins can advise?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I remember very well when this linden came to Jason Gamby as a stump. I had done a couple dozen linden before in my garden and could lead Jason for major design.

You really did justice to the potential of that tree. Now one would have to walk very far to find a better linden in America, I think. Congratulations!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a small leaf linden (Tilia Cordata) purchased from Mirai in September 2018. This tree was featured in a couple of Mirai Live streams last year. The tree is estimated to be around 25 years old although the bark already shows great character and color modulations that are typical of older lindens. It is is native to Europe and is an extremely vigorous species that buds back profusely with nice, pliable branches even those that are old. Below are some "action" shots of Ryan Neil working on this tree in one of his live streams back in January of 2018. Here he is changing the future direction of the tree going from a more dense and conical silhouette to a more open and deciduous-like structure.

The tree was originally field grown by Randy knight. It was then owned and worked by Jason Gamby who might have styled it in collaboration with Walter Pall at some point before Ryan purchased it circa 2010. It stands 21" tall from soil level with a 5" trunk.

Here is the linden when it first arrived at my garden in early September 2018. Beautiful yellow autumn color on heart shaped leaves.

Here is the tree as it looks now. No work yet except trimmed back a couple of branches. Below is Ryan's intended front although now quite a bit grown out and in need of work. Last spring, the tree was completely defoliated by deer at Mirai. Ryan left it be for the remainder of the year.

Here is the back which I am considering with some alterations to make it into the new front.

The trunk is powerful and full of character. The winter red buds look beautiful against the rough and old dark gray bark.

Current front roots much better;).

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, I remember very well when this linden came to Jason Gamby as a stump. I had done a couple dozen linden before in my garden and could lead Jason for major design.

You really did justice to the potential of that tree. Now one would have to walk very far to find a better linden in America, I think. Congratulations!

Thanks Walter! Good to hear confirmation that you indeed worked or guided the initial structure with Jason. Ryan was not sure as he mentioned that on his live stream but now we know. Your lindens along with others here like @BobbyLane and @dirk hoorelbeke have been a source of inspiration for me to obtain one. Hopefully we'll see more in the US in the future. I know Ryan is working on a couple of big ones now at Mirai.

Just for clarification, I cannot take any credit at all for this tree. This is all the work from Jason, you and Ryan who has continue to evolve and refined it. I do look forward to continue developing this great tree!

Reaction score
Fantastic to see a linden of this quality. It is a nice and fast growing species with attractive attributes. It's difficult to select the best front on a photo but your intended front would be my favorite too. There is already great age and maturity in both the lower and upper branches with enough taper and movement. There might be an opportunity to thicken the left lower branch on the left on "Ryan's" front. I look forward to see this one develop. Don't tame this beast too much.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't tame this beast too much.

Spot on comment! Definitely no intention of doing so and in fact have been thinking of what I can do to give a more wild feeling in the general structure of the canopy. Twists and turns on the branches will certainly be agreeable with the character of its trunk. Ryan had made a decision to move towards a more open structure introducing negative spaces creating a much more asymmetrical design which I was happy to see!

EDIT: Will you be at the Trophy?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe a bit late for more twists and turns but i think some more upward growing inner growth might fill some voids. Once these mature and thicken it might complete the image. As stated before, it is difficult from distance and i'm looking forward to see the decisions made.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does anyone know how they air layer? If I do make some larger cuts and want to air layer these branches instead of just throwing them away.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree really stuck a chord with me in the Spring Fundamentals video. Just an all-around gorgeous tree, very evocative. Glad to see it’s in expert hands on the East Coast now!

Top Bottom