MIRAI LINDEN

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is fantastic, MACH5! To own a tree that has been styled by the likes of Ryan and Walter are just added bonuses. The nebari alone is enough to make it drool worthy.
I'm not familiar with this species at all and have only seen examples of them by European posters like Walter Pall. Do the leaves reduce at all? I love their shape and venation but they seem a bit on the large size. I'm with others that I like it in its naked silhouette. This is a very minor complaint, btw.
Also, did it transplant well from Oregon to its new home in NJ? I would guess that the climate is at least somewhat different.

Thanks @misfit11! Probably safe to say this tree is one of those that is on the M5 permanent collection. It is a tree with obvious and important history. I take that responsibility quite seriously and be able to carry it forward into the next generation. I am quite comfortable with the idea of not having created the tree per se but simply bring to fruition to the best of my abilities the vision set forth by said masters.

The leaves despite its common name "little-leaf linden", are on the larger size. Still small enough not to distract at least in my opinion. Because of this I think is best to work in larger sizes to compensate for the leaf size. It looks like they do/can reduce to a degree. The leaves have an outstanding chartreuse fresh color in spring. Very beautiful!

As far as I can tell, the tree did not miss a beat getting relocated from Oregon. They are long lived, extremely hardy trees and take frigid temps with no issues whatsoever. As I mentioned, they do seem to appreciate cooler locations in summer much like many other deciduous species. I hope to see more in the US in the future. Great subject for bonsai and something out of the ordinary.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was looking forward to some great autumn color from this linden but it wasn't meant to be. Instead leaves just fell off looking dry and tired. I do know they can color up well so hoping it was just a bad year.

In any case here is an early winter update. Trimmed and wired once again adjusting the placement of some older branches while wiring new ones into position. Trying to keep a certain sense of refinement but with a wild and untamed sensibility.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Structurally nice, but the pix give me a sense of it trying to run away from me. I mean, it seems like the trunk generally slopes/moves to the back,

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice! this is such a cool tree. Is that a Jerry Braswell box it’s sitting on? Looks exactly like one he made for me a while ago.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was looking forward to some great autumn color from this linden but it wasn't meant to be. Instead leaves just fell off looking dry and tired. I do know they can color up well so hoping it was just a bad year.

In any case here is an early winter update. Trimmed and wired once again adjusting the placement of some older branches while wiring new ones into position. Trying to keep a certain sense of refinement but with a wild and untamed sensibility.

Love this tree so much Sergio. Have plans for a new pot? I know it had been talked about on here? In any case, let me know if I can take these pots off of your hands. 😂277494

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Structurally nice, but the pix give me a sense of it trying to run away from me. I mean, it seems like the trunk generally slopes/moves to the back,

I agree Oso. The photo does give you a bit of that impression. It may be the angle I took the photo? In actuality the tree sits perfectly straight with the very top section leaning slightly towards the viewer.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love this tree so much Sergio. Have plans for a new pot? I know it had been talked about on here? In any case, let me know if I can take these pots off of your hands. 😂View attachment 277494

Thanks Danny! You guys may burn me at the stake, but the pot has grown on me a great deal. The way the roots curve down to grasp the soil seems to want the tree mounded higher than usual on a low profile pot like this one. The color picks up nicely the winter red buds. I think for now I will keep it as is. I cannot make out the signature but almost certain it's from Europe. Now thinking this may be my entry at this year's Nationals. We shall see.

Haha! Those are my crappy pots. The good ones sit outside!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Danny! You guys may burn me at the stake, but the pot has grown on me a great deal. The way the roots curve down to grasp the soil seems to want the tree mounded higher than usual on a low profile pot like this one. The color picks up nicely the winter red buds. I think for now I will keep it as is. I cannot make out the signature but almost certain it's from Europe. Now thinking this may be my entry at next year's Nationals. We shall see.

Not me. I personally love shallow pots, for all tree types. And your absolutely right about the compliment in color with those buds.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Always a pleasure. Thanks Sergio for sharing with us. It allows us to grasp deciduous tree structure from fine specimen trees. And your photography takes it to the next level

Reaction score
Thanks Danny! You guys may burn me at the stake, but the pot has grown on me a great deal. The way the roots curve down to grasp the soil seems to want the tree mounded higher than usual on a low profile pot like this one. The color picks up nicely the winter red buds. I think for now I will keep it as is. I cannot make out the signature but almost certain it's from Europe. Now thinking this may be my entry at this year's Nationals. We shall see.

Great tree Sergio! Do you have a picture of the stamp on the pot?

Reaction score
Are you good with finding out pot makers? I have a bunch of pots that have not been produced in a liquid clay factory in china of which I cannot determine the background..

Only with European pots I'm afraid... Japanese and especially Chinese stamps are still, well... Chinese to me lol. There is a pretty good section on (contemporary) Chinese stamps on japanesebonsaipots.net though, you might be able to snoop them out on there.

Yes absolutely I can get you a pic. I'll PM you. Thanks Maarten!

You're welcome!

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy! The buds actually get redder as winter progresses. The bark on this tree is also quite outstanding. Full of age and character.
Yea it's the bark that really makes it for me too. Such a great tree. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom