MIRAI LINDEN

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes for sure those two are very good possibilities. I will need to check.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This clearly looks like a Heinzlreiter pot to me with his faous orange glazing.
I agree based on the glaze. FWIW, Horst sometimes writes haiku on the outside bottom surfaces of his pots, but so does Peter Krebs...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spring update. Strong start on this tree with its beautiful heart-shaped chartreuse leaves. The reddish bud scales turn pink as they elongate which makes for a wonderful combination with the bright chartreuse green. Will be watching closely Japanese beetles as they love this species!

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Where is @Adair M?

This tree is potted too damn high or the pot is too damn shallow!

Honestly, it is over the edge for me and consumes all of my attention. Shouldn't, but it does.
I felt that way at first too...but honestly, it’s growing on me, the unusually shallow and red colored pot and the mounded soil with the roots grasping and tracing the profile. It adds unique character and personality to the tree. Looking good Serg.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I felt that way at first too...but honestly, it’s growing on me, the unusually shallow and red colored pot and the mounded soil with the roots grasping and tracing the profile. It adds unique character and personality to the tree. Looking good Serg.

It has grown on me as well. I did not like the pot at the beginning. But like it now and definitely complements the reddish and pink hues of the tree. I understand why Ryan did what he did. I generally don't like my trees mounded but this one I think it's meant to be so. As you pointed out, the roots clasp down into the soil solidly and naturally and adds to its character.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here it is in summer mode. Thus far leaves are holding up much better than last year. As leaves hardened off it was placed under the arbor in filtered sunlight. One thing I have been keeping a very close eye is on Japanese beetles. They LOVE to snack on lindens. So far I have kept them away by spraying the tree.

As a bonus, someone sent me photos on Facebook of the tree when it was in Jason Gamby's collection. These photos may date back to circa 2007?

IMG_5213 copy.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

Old photos from back around 2007.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.13.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.12.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.12.20 PM.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Old photos from back around 2007.
Interesting conclusion for me: The importance of initial selection and position of branches. Many of the current branches are already there 13 years ago. Must keep this in mind when setting up branches on my strumps-in-development. (I am still struggling with the long term development process of trees, having no tree under my care for more than 9 years, and most less than 5)

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting conclusion for me: The importance of initial selection and position of branches. Many of the current branches are already there 13 years ago. Must keep this in mind when setting up branches on my strumps-in-development. (I am still struggling with the long term development process of trees, having no tree under my care for more than 9 years, and most less than 5)
Same. I've got a huge linden stump I got last year. While may never be this beautiful, but I love @MACH5 's updates since this thread gives me hope for my very ugly tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Indeed Jelle. That is not always an easy proposition to see 10, 20 years ahead. There was a lot of good work done to this tree to set it up for success. I now have the benefit of such work.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good!Although these have larger leavees,I have tone of green seed stratifying in the refridgerator.......also gave a 10 minute sulfuric acid soak,so I believe they will grow good.I seen Walters shohin specimin.I just love the red twigs on these.I could not resist!

Top Bottom