MIRAI LINDEN

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good!Although these have larger leavees,I have tone of green seed stratifying in the refridgerator.......also gave a 10 minute sulfuric acid soak,so I believe they will grow good.I seen Walters shohin specimin.I just love the red twigs on these.I could not resist!

They are quite beautiful specially in winter with their large red buds. The leaves are larger than one might want for bonsai but they bother me none. They are actually quite pretty in shape. Trying to see if I can get a nice yellow this fall. Last year the color was not good at all. But my leaves were not as in good shape as I would have like to. It will also depend on weather conditions.

Good luck and have fun with your seedlings. A beautiful species for sure. Walter's lindens and quite striking!

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Walter! Good to hear confirmation that you indeed worked or guided the initial structure with Jason. Ryan was not sure as he mentioned that on his live stream but now we know. Your lindens along with others here like @BobbyLane and @dirk hoorelbeke have been a source of inspiration for me to obtain one. Hopefully we'll see more in the US in the future. I know Ryan is working on a couple of big ones now at Mirai.

Just for clarification, I cannot take any credit at all for this tree. This is all the work from Jason, you and Ryan who has continue to evolve and refined it. I do look forward to continue developing this great tree!
Is Jason Gamby still doing bonsai? If so where?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really healthy this year. Did you change anything care-wise? Amount of watering, type/amount of fertilizer, sun exposure?

I had a couple of young ones in containers for a while and had terrible problems with chlorosis by mid-late summer. It didn't matter much because they were destined for the growing bed (where there's never been a problem). One got away from me and will probably be a yard tree, but I still have hope that the other might be usable for bonsai.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks really healthy this year. Did you change anything care-wise? Amount of watering, type/amount of fertilizer, sun exposure?

I had a couple of young ones in containers for a while and had terrible problems with chlorosis by mid-late summer. It didn't matter much because they were destined for the growing bed (where there's never been a problem). One got away from me and will probably be a yard tree, but I still have hope that the other might be usable for bonsai.

The only major change was light exposure. This year it was placed early under my arbor. So getting filtered sunlight. In full sun they will scorch much like you see in maples. Fertilizer consists of BioGold and fish emulsion. And they love water... lots of it although they can tolerate brief periods of dryness.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Linden back in the studio today. It was time for another round of wire making careful use of this year's growth. The tree is progressing rapidly. Knowing when to apply techniques at the appropriate times and attention to detail can make a big difference in your trees in just a couple of short years!

This will be my last work for 2020. Now looking ahead to spring 2021!

IMG_7593.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7552.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7556.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Linden back in the studio today. It was time for another round of wire making careful use of this year's growth. The tree is progressing rapidly. Knowing when to apply techniques at the appropriate times and attention to detail can make a big difference in your trees in just a couple of short years!

View attachment 346962

View attachment 346963

View attachment 346964

View attachment 346965

View attachment 346966

View attachment 346967

View attachment 346968

View attachment 346969

View attachment 346970

View attachment 346971

It is an awesome tree, @MACH5 !
And it shows much better ramification and proportions than before.
Awesome.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool tree, great work with good material. What are your considerations in using copper on current work v aluminum?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 346962

View attachment 346963

View attachment 346964

View attachment 346965

View attachment 346966

View attachment 346967

View attachment 346968

View attachment 346969

View attachment 346970

View attachment 346971
Incredible branch progression Sergio! Do you have any plans for root grafts (your specialty 😎), or will you leave the nebari alone to match the wildness of this tree?

See you in 2021!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very cool tree, great work with good material. What are your considerations in using copper on current work v aluminum?

Thanks! I like to make use of both. Copper is aesthetically more pleasing to me and of course has more holding strength. I use it mostly on trees with rougher bark. However, aluminum is softer and thus kinder to the bark. So I use it on maples and beech because of their delicate bark. Also copper as it oxidizes can leave long lasting stains on certain smooth-barked trees like maples.

As a side note, depending on what I am wiring and the pressure I'm exerting on a particular branch, I will wrap the wire, whether it's aluminum or copper with floral tape to provide a cushion between wire and branch.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Incredible branch progression Sergio! Do you have any plans for root grafts (your specialty 😎), or will you leave the nebari alone to match the wildness of this tree?

See you in 2021!

Thanks Sal! I have been considering it but I am not troubled at all by the current nebari as it matches the powerful aspect of the rest of the tree. So yes I could add a couple of roots but if not I think it's also ok as is :)

Yes, see you in 2021!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Such an amazing tree. I wish I saw more linden. I have one cordata in a growing bed, but am 0/100 on seed grown.

Going to try to strike some cuttings this year when I chop it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Such an amazing tree. I wish I saw more linden. I have one cordata in a growing bed, but am 0/100 on seed grown.

Going to try to strike some cuttings this year when I chop it.

Ryan Neil is introducing this species to the US via his live streams. I am sure others are quietly doing the same. Walter recently posted on Instagram a linden that he grew from a seedling since 1985. Good luck with your cuttings. One day they will become something special :)

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ryan Neil is introducing this species to the US via his live streams. I am sure others are quietly doing the same. Walter recently posted on Instagram a linden that he grew from a seedling since 1985. Good luck with your cuttings. One day they will become something special :)
Thanks. I am ground layering the one in The ground so I hope the nebari turns out good. The base already has a flare.

Ryan, Walter and Harry Harrington are the only people ive seen work with Linden (other than you) Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing the ramification progress. Linden buds in winter are amazing!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks. I am ground layering the one in The ground so I hope the nebari turns out good. The base already has a flare.

Ryan, Walter and Harry Harrington are the only people ive seen work with Linden (other than you) Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing the ramification progress. Linden buds in winter are amazing!

My sense is that they air layer quite well! They are vigorous sturdy trees. Wonderful species that for those of us deciduous fanatics add diversity to your garden. They look quite distinct from may other trees specially in leaf. The red winter buds are another nice feature.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look quite distinct from may other trees specially in leaf
A few days into growing season is when I love them best.

This one is my plaything to get to know the species better, before I pull one from my growing beds. 6 days after bud-break this spring:

20200413-R14A3424-223.jpg

Top Bottom