Mirai Live Plagiarized?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Or the most publicized? Visibility does not one-on-one equal quality.
I would entertain the idea there are a few people that nobody really knows outside their own circle who are quite good in their own right.
probably, but they may lack in other areas. Ryan excels as a great teacher. his marketing isnt too shabby either. video production etc everything seems to be on point. again, he has set the bar extremely high. and it would seem he has even bigger plans.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FYI: Boon was streaming content before Ryan. Bonsai Empire had lessons online as well. Youtube... Ryan's not the first. He's done it differently, ...and very well. But he wasn't the first.

edit: After reading posts I didn't know were posted, I see my sentiment wasn't unique. Was it Plagiarism?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
he has set the bar extremely high.
He has. Good advertising, excellent teaching, and tack sharp, clear videography does not make him the best bonsai artist in the world though, is what I was saying.
I am not saying I know he is not, because I do not know. I have not worked with him, seen only snippets of his videos. I have seen some trees which are really good. But whether Kimura or kobayashi are not better? Or whether there are a few people hidden in places that have the same skillset? Dunno.

In any case. I think you should never state things in absolutes. He certainly is one of the best artists and one of the most well-known artists out there.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
He has. Good advertising, excellent teaching, and tack sharp, clear videography does not make him the best bonsai artist in the world though, is what I was saying.
I am not saying I know he is not, because I do not know. I have not worked with him, seen only snippets of his videos. I have seen some trees which are really good. But whether Kimura or kobayashi are not better? Or whether there are a few people hidden in places that have the same skillset? Dunno.

In any case. I think you should never state things in absolutes. He certainly is one of the best artists and one of the most well-known artists out there.
yeh but tbf he only needs to be one of the best or the best who provide it all on an easy access online platform, the names you mentioned that isnt their forte.
One example, the way he talks about compartmentalisation (on different species), you will not find anywhere else on the internet. ive never ever seen anyone go over it with a fine tooth comb like that. ive not seen anyone in a video format clean up, dress up a cut branch and discuss why this procedure is better because the branch will now heal in the best way possible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you all feel that Mirai Live is worth the asking cost vs. what's out there on YouTube in terms of providing actionable recommendations for plants? I've not signed up because it's a bit of a chunk of change for a monthly cost when you compare it to other streaming services, but if it's that good I probably want in.

TBH if feel like I have a better idea of what I may be getting with the "other bonsai professional" given what he already has out on youtube, but it sounds like Ryan is the dude with the goods in terms of breadth of experience and knowledge base. I don't think I've done much of a deep dive on their free youtube videos for whatever reason, and when I did it was more like "garden walks", so I have less of an idea as to his style of presenting &etc

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you all feel that Mirai Live is worth the asking cost vs. what's out there on YouTube in terms of providing actionable recommendations for plants? I've not signed up because it's a bit of a chunk of change for a monthly cost when you compare it to other streaming services, but if it's that good I probably want in.

TBH if feel like I have a better idea of what I may be getting with the "other bonsai professional" given what he already has out on youtube, but it sounds like Ryan is the dude with the goods in terms of breadth of experience and knowledge base. I don't think I've done much of a deep dive on their free youtube videos for whatever reason, and when I did it was more like "garden walks", so I have less of an idea as to his style of presenting &etc
Mirai has some a playlist of free Mirai Live streams. they are all an hr plus.. Iw ould recommend watching them and judging for yourself.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Lets not go there. It's been done.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

hah, fair, thanks for the link

should have known that was a topic that had already been beaten to death

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Exactly. this goes back to saying that if you put in the effort, the info is out there for free. if thats too tedious for you, pay for the packages and get it all drip fed.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeh but tbf he only needs to be one of the best or the best who provide it all on an easy access online platform, the names you mentioned that isnt their forte.
One example, the way he talks about compartmentalisation (on different species), you will not find anywhere else on the internet. ive never ever seen anyone go over it with a fine tooth comb like that. ive not seen anyone in a video format clean up, dress up a cut branch and discuss why this procedure is better because the branch will now heal in the best way possible.
Another perspective view...
If he learned all these all this from his teacher in Japan, is he also committing plagiarism? :cool:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If he learned all these all this from his teacher in Japan, is he also committing plagiarism? :cool:
I dont think he did. i think a lot of what he does on mirai is self taught.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I don't think so. Plagiarism is taking someone else's (usually written) words verbatim (or close to it) and passing them off as your own. There are no new ideas in the world.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think he studied in Japan for a little bit too?

yeh i didnt word that right. i know he studied in Japan under Kimura, he does talk about that a bit in the streams, but a lot of content he teaches is stuff that he learnt himself. im pretty sure Kimura didnt teach him how branches on Tilia and Beech compartmentalise. when he starts marking out horticulture on the black board and going deep into sugars, starches and what not, that is not stuff he learnt in Japan!:D

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
yeh i didnt word that right. i know he studied in Japan under Kimura, he does talk about that a bit in the streams, but a lot of content he teaches is stuff that he learnt himself. im pretty sure Kimura didnt teach him how branches on Tilia and Beech compartmentalise. when he starts marking out horticulture on the black board and going deep into sugars, starches and what not, that is not stuff he learnt in Japan!:D
How do you know what he learned in japan?

Top Bottom