MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This elm was purchased from Mirai last year. Here is a little history:

Originally this tree came from the Willamette Valley in Oregon where for 85 years it grew in the ground alongside other elms that were used specifically for propagation. The land was subsequently bought to build apartments. Ryan somehow found them right before they bulldozed the field. However, in order to obtain the lot of elms, he had to pay a hefty price to another nurseryman who apparently had beat him to the trees! Since then, Ryan has created many smaller bonsai from these trees via air layering. He also took the original trees and started training them into exceptional and impressive pieces of bonsai.

Here is a photo from Ryan back in 2011 when the tree was first dug from the ground and potted into a wooden box.

Mirai posted a video on Facebook that was taken as their truck (AKA the Covered Wagon) was being readied to take the long journey across the country from Oregon to New York last May. Many trees were being delivered including my elm. Below is a still taken from that video were the elm can be seen indicated by the white arrow.

This is one of the photos that Ryan sent to me. It greatly appealed to me because it reminded me of a tree in nature rather than a bonsai. The bark is spectacular although very delicate. Powerful and well developed nebari uncommon in elms. The tree stands more than three feet from soil level and almost as wide. The custom made Byron Myrick pot suits the tree perfectly!

Here it is in my garden. These are all fairly recent photos.

I built a clear cedar bench specifically for this tree with extra thick 6" x 4" posts for better support. The tree was also placed on a turn table for easy rotation.

I have not done any work on this tree. I want to study it in winter without any of the leaves. But I do know that a lot more work is ahead. Long whips are being grown for next year as I plan to do a few thread grafts as well as lots of wiring, pruning and possibly some heavy bending. I truly look forward to continuing this tree's development into the future!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This elm was purchased from Mirai last year. Here is a little history:

Originally this tree came from the Willamette Valley in Oregon where for 85 years it grew in the ground alongside other elms that were used specifically for propagation. The land was subsequently bought to build apartments. Ryan somehow found them right before they bulldozed the field. However, in order to obtain the lot of elms, he had to pay a hefty price to another nurseryman who apparently had beat him to the trees! Since then, Ryan has created many smaller bonsai from these trees via air layering. He also took the original trees and started training them into exceptional and impressive pieces of bonsai.

Here is a photo from Ryan back in 2011 when the tree was first dug from the ground and potted into a wooden box.

Mirai posted a video on Facebook that was taken as their truck (AKA the Covered Wagon) was being readied to take the long journey across the country from Oregon to New York last May. Many trees were being delivered including my elm. Below is a still taken from that video were the elm can be seen indicated by the white arrow.

This is one of the photos that Ryan sent to me. It greatly appealed to me because it reminded me of a tree in nature rather than a bonsai. The bark is spectacular although very delicate. Powerful and well developed nebari uncommon in elms. The tree stands more than three feet from soil level and almost as wide. The custom made Byron Myrick pot suits the tree perfectly!

Here it is in my garden. These are all fairly recent photos.

I built a clear cedar bench specifically for this tree with extra thick 6" x 4" posts for better support. The tree was also placed on a turn table for easy rotation.

I have not done any work on this tree. I want to study it in winter without any of the leaves. But I do know that a lot more work is ahead. Long whips are being grown for next year as I plan to do a few thread grafts as well as lots of wiring, pruning and possibly some heavy bending. I truly look forward to continuing this tree's development into the future!

Very VERY nice elm. I would, however, have a note of caution about the pot--if the bottom wall of the container is supporting the tree flat on the turntable, if may not be the best thing with such a wide pot. There is a danger of cracking the relatively thin bottom because of the weight resting on it. The wide, flat, thin bottom is weaker structurally than having the pot resting on its feet.

I've got a similar turntable set up for my big oak. I've placed two thick wood slats under the pot between it and the turntable surface, so the feet of the pot rest on the slats. The feet at the edges are better able to structurally support the heavy pot.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Great tree - Have you've been bit by the large tree bug? I have that and unless your working on the tree on the stand, it's pita to move them to my work area. I love the tree as it well on it's way and you still have plenty of work to add to it.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool history. Lots of potential there. Your pot looks great too, although I think it may be too shallow.

You seem to be acquiring larger trees lately. Soon you will need an apprentice.

When Ryan first told me about this elm, I pretty much told him I wasn't interested. When he showed me the pics, I said ok I'm listening! :eek:

Yes I have gotten a few large ones but other than a big oak that's coming, that will be it for me! Anything else will be back to manageable sizes. I have been thinking about getting some sort of help or apprentice. I am starting to need one, not just for the big trees. Now taking applications LOL!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very ancient looking. Amazing bark with fine growth and small leaves! Your picture makes me feel like I'm in a enchanted forest. Do you have a fountain or koi pond in your garden already? I could breathe in fresh air and hear the pleasant sound of a brook nearby just looking at the pictures with what appears to be morning dew.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very VERY nice elm. I would, however, have a note of caution about the pot--if the bottom wall of the container is supporting the tree flat on the turntable, if may not be the best thing with such a wide pot. There is a danger of cracking the relatively thin bottom because of the weight resting on it. The wide, flat, thin bottom is weaker structurally than having the pot resting on its feet.

I've got a similar turntable set up for my big oak. I've placed two thick wood slats under the pot between it and the turntable surface, so the feet of the pot rest on the slats. The feet at the edges are better able to structurally support the heavy pot.

Thanks Mark! Great point, I hand't thought about that.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Plans for overwintering? I'm curious just how hardy it will be.:):confused:

According to Ryan, this tree can/has sustained temps down into single digits at Mirai. However, Ryan did say that these were not sustained for days on end. Probably in December this tree will go into my unheated garage with the rest of my trees. A few hard freezes will be ok, but not for a long period of time. It will be most likely be set on a cart so that it can be taken in and out as needed in late winter as temps start to fluctuate.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree - Have you've been bit by the large tree bug? I have that and unless your working on the tree on the stand, it's pita to move them to my work area. I love the tree as it well on it's way and you still have plenty of work to add to it.

Giga, I have always loved large trees but now had the means (and enough experience) to acquire a few. I will do most of the heavy work in my makeshift studio against a clean background and the rest will have to be on site as this is for sure a two man tree unless you're Mike Frary! :p

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mark! Great point, I hand't thought about that.
Ya get big trees, ya get big problems. ;-) The physics involved with big trees and pots is less forgiving than with small trees and pots--more weight, more stress on their pots

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very ancient looking. Amazing bark with fine growth and small leaves! Your picture makes me feel like I'm in a enchanted forest. Do you have a fountain or koi pond in your garden already? I could breathe in fresh air and hear the pleasant sound of a brook nearby just looking at the pictures with what appears to be morning dew.

Martin, unfortunately I do not. I had plans for one, but my better sense went against it. Just another thing to keep up. However, I do have very close by a stream that runs through the back of my property.

Top Bottom