MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You're going to have some interesting choices ahead, Serg. On one hand, this elm could go the route of a fantasy tree, or what Walter Pall terms a fairy tale tree. The bark already makes it a powerful tree. Or, the elm could become the tree at the center of the Universe...a directional tree dividing space into quadrants. Or, with your talented hands, you could find another direction for the tree to take. Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.

Thank you Fred for your always interesting insights! Can you expand of what you mean by the tree being in the center of the universe idea? Honestly not sure I have put much thought into it aside from just reacting to it and letting it be what it wants to be. Of course that does not mean I don't have a plan, but as far as style, not sure what it would end up being categorized as?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a lot of work. So love that bark...

Tell me about Judy! Winding that thick wire while being careful not to knock the more delicate twigs was enough. One good thing about these rough bark trees is that if wire bites in it always gives them extra character when the scars heal. They are more forgiving that smooth bark species for sure.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tell me about Judy! Winding that thick wire while being careful not to knock the more delicate twigs was enough. One good thing about these rough bark trees is that if wire bites in it always gives them extra character when the scars heal. They are more forgiving that smooth bark species for sure.
Yeah that's fair, but the trade off is that you cry when a chunk of bark comes off... and they do. Yours seems to have plenty to spare.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MACH5 said:
"Thank you Fred for your always interesting insights! Can you expand of what you mean by the tree being in the center of the universe idea? Honestly not sure I have put much thought into it aside from just reacting to it and letting it be what it wants to be. Of course that does not mean I don't have a plan, but as far as style, not sure what it would end up being categorized as?"

Well, the Norse had a myth that there was this tree at the center of the Universe that supported both the gods above and people below. Interestingly, the Aztecs had a very similar myth. In both cases, the tree was also directional. It divided space into north, south, east and west as well as above and below.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
MACH5 said:
"Thank you Fred for your always interesting insights! Can you expand of what you mean by the tree being in the center of the universe idea? Honestly not sure I have put much thought into it aside from just reacting to it and letting it be what it wants to be. Of course that does not mean I don't have a plan, but as far as style, not sure what it would end up being categorized as?"

Well, the Norse had a myth that there was this tree at the center of the Universe that supported both the gods above and people below. Interestingly, the Aztecs had a very similar myth. In both cases, the tree was also directional. It divided space into north, south, east and west as well as above and below.
Interesting inspiration!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Needless to say, I think we all are with singing hearts over this "busty wench"!:p;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Any preventative spraying for bugs? Particularly around the "most-corky" areas on the trunk?
I've a wee cork elm that gets passengers under the bark that I can't seem to eradicate completely without removing said bark. I don't like spraying but 2-3 times, if at all. Only if necessary,for the most part.
Just curious. It always seems my questions or statements on your threads are negative, I don't know why I feel that way. Your efforts are crackin'!! Damn interweb, makes everything seem confrontational!

Not to insinuate your care is anything less than exemplary. I like to learn from your methods!:cool:

The visual impact of this beauty must be something in person.

Sounds lately like you've got a Jersey bonsai clique up and puttin' in work...…
diddy.gif Diddy approves.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah that's fair, but the trade off is that you cry when a chunk of bark comes off... and they do. Yours seems to have plenty to spare.

Yes very beautiful but delicate bark. There is quite a bit off it. It sheds sometimes a piece here or there. All part of the natural process. As the tree sheds the pieces of bark, I collect them and put them in a bag for future use ie. disguise big cuts.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
MACH5 said:

Thank you Fred. Very interesting! This myth reminds somehow of Micheangelo's Sistine Chapel where he depicted heaven and hell.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Needless to say, I think we all are with singing hearts over this "busty wench"!:p;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Any preventative spraying for bugs? Particularly around the "most-corky" areas on the trunk?
I've a wee cork elm that gets passengers under the bark that I can't seem to eradicate completely without removing said bark. I don't like spraying but 2-3 times, if at all. Only if necessary,for the most part.
Just curious. It always seems my questions or statements on your threads are negative, I don't know why I feel that way. Your efforts are crackin'!! Damn interweb, makes everything seem confrontational!

Not to insinuate your care is anything less than exemplary. I like to learn from your methods!:cool:

The visual impact of this beauty must be something in person.

Sounds lately like you've got a Jersey bonsai clique up and puttin' in work...…
View attachment 229426 Diddy approves.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lance, I have not sprayed the bark as I have not seen, at least not yet, any reason to do so. However, I did have to spray the foliage a few times during the summer to control some sort of fungus that I saw. I am usually very much on top of my trees and the fungus was caught early. The tips started to grow in an odd weird way that was clear something was unfolding. It may have been anthracnose.

This tree as you may have seen in photos still remains the centerpiece in my garden. It smacks you right away. It will get VERY interesting next year when I will need to repot this monster WITHOUT damaging any of the bark!!

Not sure why you feel your posts are negative on may threads? I actually have the total opposite impression if that makes you feel better? If not I'll send you a hanky! :p

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lance, I have not sprayed the bark as I have not seen, at least not yet, any reason to do so. However, I did have to spray the foliage a few times during the summer to control some sort of fungus that I saw. I am usually very much on top of my trees and the fungus was caught early. The tips started to grow in an odd weird way that was clear something was unfolding. It may have been anthracnose.

What was happening, Sergio? Were the shoots starting to curl and grow in very distorted fashion? Were the leaves affected?

I think I may have mentioned this before but am not sure - but I've experienced that on my corkbark elm in 2016 and 2017. The new shoots would come out all curled and twisted and some of the
leaves would be deformed as well. I sprayed with fungicide (daconil mainly) and removed the curly growth and it eventually reverted to normal. Asked Ryan Neil about it during one of the Q&As
and he said he'd experienced something similar (maybe even on the elm you got from him). He suggested that it might be due to excessive cool/damp spring conditions and advised keeping the
tree out of the rain in the early spring, especially at night. So this past year I did that and did not have any problems. I'm not sure if that was the issue, as I also applied daconil regularly including
before the buds opened. Will be interesting to see what happens this spring.

Given the size of your tree I'm not sure that moving it out of the rain is feasible but something to keep in mind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sergio

When transplanting bonsai with flakey, rough or delicate bark try to lift the tree from the upper branches, IF it is necessary to touch the bark, wrap first with wet paper towels.

A photo of my stock plant of Yatsubusa Cork-bark Chinese elm. Its a cutting from one of my bonsai
planted in the ground for propagation.YATSUBUSA ELM.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What was happening, Sergio? Were the shoots starting to curl and grow in very distorted fashion? Were the leaves affected?

I think I may have mentioned this before but am not sure - but I've experienced that on my corkbark elm in 2016 and 2017. The new shoots would come out all curled and twisted and some of the
leaves would be deformed as well. I sprayed with fungicide (daconil mainly) and removed the curly growth and it eventually reverted to normal. Asked Ryan Neil about it during one of the Q&As
and he said he'd experienced something similar (maybe even on the elm you got from him). He suggested that it might be due to excessive cool/damp spring conditions and advised keeping the
tree out of the rain in the early spring, especially at night. So this past year I did that and did not have any problems. I'm not sure if that was the issue, as I also applied daconil regularly including
before the buds opened. Will be interesting to see what happens this spring.

Given the size of your tree I'm not sure that moving it out of the rain is feasible but something to keep in mind.

Yes, the leaves were beginning to curl and look deformed. After treatment it started to grow normal again. Interesting information from Ryan. We'll see about it this year but it is not possible for me to move this tree around. Once it comes out into the garden it will pretty much stay there rain or shine. It is placed in a very sunny location. Good luck with yours and let me know how it does.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio

When transplanting bonsai with flakey, rough or delicate bark try to lift the tree from the upper branches, IF it is necessary to touch the bark, wrap first with wet paper towels.

A photo of my stock plant of Yatsubusa Cork-bark Chinese elm. Its a cutting from one of my bonsai
planted in the ground for propagation.View attachment 229452

Thank you Bill for chiming in! I was planning to do exactly that but good to hear you are confirming it.

I admired your landscape Yatsubusa when I was at your place a few years back. Not far from the arakawa.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
planted in the ground for propagation.
Pardon the quick question, but is Yatsubusa hardy in New york? Generally, I just mulch in my elm’s pots and they are fine through polar vortexes, but I haven’t tried any varieties and was debating between a Seiju and a Yatsubusa.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes very beautiful but delicate bark. There is quite a bit off it. It sheds sometimes a piece here or there. All part of the natural process. As the tree sheds the pieces of bark, I collect them and put them in a bag for future use ie. disguise big cuts.
I had just been thinking of this sort of thing recently. ?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Were the shoots starting to curl and grow in very distorted fashion? Were the leaves affected?
Peach leaf curl.A Spring early summer spore in the air...just put trees under a covered top if possible during that time to keep spores off tree.That is why shelter helps.I learned that from one of Peter Chan’s books.

Last edited:
Top Bottom