Miserable August Temps

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to tell you I am used to hot temps here in AZ but this is the most miserable month temperature wise I have experienced in my entire life! It is absolutely brutal out there! We will have suffered through over a months worth of temperatures over 110F (43C). I have not lost a tree yet but if things do not turn around it is going to get tree ugly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-144905_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-144905_Chrome.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 19

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have to tell you I am used to hot temps here in AZ but this is the most miserable month temperature wise I have experienced in my entire life! It is absolutely brutal out there! We will have suffered through over a months worth of temperatures over 110F (43C). I have not lost a tree yet but if things do not turn around it is going to get tree ugly.

Holy carp! (Yes carp)

I remember the HOTTEST summers.. working in a very inadequately-vented Kitchen.... I wore meat thermometers hanging on the outside of my jacket pocket, and i advised my other chefs/sous to do the same as to take the ambient temperature around the head area..

Once it would rise to 115-125 over the grills and vats.. I’d make everyone cycle in and out every 20 minutes...

I remember a certain 128 degree (by my face) in the kitchen day... I started to feel somewhat faint AND “jacked up” at the same time... I looked up to my Line of tickets JUST as all the language MORPHED into hieroglyphics! ... I looked at my Sous, sweat POURING off me and (apparently) said, “I’m not even Egyptian.... HELP!”... then walked out of the building singing Steve Martin’s “King Tut”..to get some air (hieroglyphics is the last thing I remember)

Heatstroke is no joke!

I’m sorry for your situation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is the hottest summer I remember. I have lost plants & have some that don’t look good. They are mainly new nursery buys that I mistakenly trimmed just before the HOT got here.
I’m glad we have a pool, with the heat & covid 19 this is the most we have used ever.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Holy carp! (Yes carp)

I remember the HOTTEST summers.. working in a very inadequately-vented Kitchen.... I wore meat thermometers hanging on the outside of my jacket pocket, and i advised my other chefs/sous to do the same as to take the ambient temperature around the head area..

Once it would rise to 115-125 over the grills and vats.. I’d make everyone cycle in and out every 20 minutes...

I remember a certain 128 degree (by my face) in the kitchen day... I started to feel somewhat faint AND “jacked up” at the same time... I looked up to my Line of tickets JUST as all the language MORPHED into hieroglyphics! ... I looked at my Sous, sweat POURING off me and (apparently) said, “I’m not even Egyptian.... HELP!”... then walked out of the building singing Steve Martin’s “King Tut”..to get some air (hieroglyphics is the last thing I remember)

Heatstroke is no joke!

I’m sorry for your situation.
My parents owned a restaurant when I was growing up, second that the kitchens get ridiculously hot.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get used to it, its only going to get worse.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My parents owned a restaurant when I was growing up, second that the kitchens get ridiculously hot.
I was a cook in a few different restaurants when I was young. This was 50 years ago and nobody paid much attention to it. The part I remember most fondly were the trips to the walk in freezer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We dont have air conditioning in the main part of our house.
There are times when I open my refridgerator that I would love to climb in there and stay a while.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is that?
You mean the ventilators that office have to bring fresh air inside?
Don't have one of those.

No its a device that cools the air down in a room or building.
They are very nice when the weather is hot.
You must have that over in Germany?

We have one in our bed room because without it there is no way I would get any sleep in the summer.
I can not sleep if its too hot.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm late to the party, but thought I'd point out that evaporation increases exponentially with temperature.

So I find this means that I have to add another watering for every ten degrees above 80F.

I.e. 2 times a day for 90, 3 times a day for 100 and 4 times a day for 110.

That's what I hate about the Fahrenheit scale. What looks like only a 25% increase in temperature can actually require a 300% increase in water needs.

satvap.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The misery continues. 3 days of 90 + heat Nov. 16th, 17th, 18th. Good grief.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, crazy. Just watched the forecast. They are talking 20C / 68F again in Germany this weekend. (Latitude: Canada)

Top Bottom