Miss Kim Lilac

Donna322

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Newbie here...found this little bargain ($5.34) and would like advice as to how to proceed. Can it go right into training pot and begin branch selection or should I let it grow in current container then over winter by planting pot in ground and resume in spring? Zone 5b thanks for any help...

Attachments

• A5FD2B6D-AB55-43BC-BE55-7E373DA60B32.jpeg
    A5FD2B6D-AB55-43BC-BE55-7E373DA60B32.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 0F6B2D64-3F56-4E08-A244-699659F8CD39.jpeg
    0F6B2D64-3F56-4E08-A244-699659F8CD39.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 18

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to Bonsai Nut! We hope you enjoy being a member of this forum!

A nursery pot is a training pot.

We’ve a couple lilacs here, including hardy dwarfs like Miss Kim. As bonsai, they are interesting and a bit finicky

Personally, I’d get the next size larger nursery pot, cut it down 1/2 way and slip it into there for this year and ….maybe even next, depending upon your success in keeping the tree healthy.

The first thing I’d recommend is figure out how tall and what style you want this tree to be. This will guide everything beyond.

Selecting potential branches now would be ok. Keep in mind that whatever you do the tree must be robust enough to get through the winter. So cut back and do follow up care with this in mind.

Generally in my experience lilacs like to be kept moist, not wet, at all times.

Also please double click your icon on the top of the page and enter your approximate location and the USDA plant hardiness zone. This information will follow you around on each post so we can quickly tailor our assistance based upon this data. It will also key others in your area to respond.

Welcome Aboard once again!

cheers
DSD sends

Donna322

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the reply! I do not want this real tall…would an unheated detached garage be a good option to overwinter?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don’t see why not… given some care.

Yet Miss Kim is rated pretty hardy Zone 4-8 at least. So likely it would survived with the pot mulched in in a area protected from the prevailing winds and not in full sun.

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think
Needs a negative adjective or 2.
Sorce

Oh no @sorce !!!

Don’t tell me you’ve sold out to the “if it ain’t bought in a pricey bonsai shop interests….?”

image.jpg

Tell me it ain’t so Joe!

😉 Happy Friday
DSD sends

Top Bottom