Miss Kim vs Dwarf Kiran Lilacs?

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of the garden center are in close out right now and I have the opportunity to try my hand at one of these. Which lends itself to a smaller size, or has better leaf reduction? I can probably buy the Korean outright because my wife is in love with all things Korean, but I'd still like to hear from people with experience.

For the record, I'm in South Central Idaho, east of Boise... high plains desert with much wind and stupid heat. I lost three large branches on chili peppers to another freak wind storm last night. Yesterday's heat fried the tips of new growth on all my willows despite the shade and water. Are Lilacs even a consideration given these conditions?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All of the garden center are in close out right now and I have the opportunity to try my hand at one of these. Which lends itself to a smaller size, or has better leaf reduction? I can probably buy the Korean outright because my wife is in love with all things Korean, but I'd still like to hear from people with experience.

For the record, I'm in South Central Idaho, east of Boise... high plains desert with much wind and stupid heat. I lost three large branches on chili peppers to another freak wind storm last night. Yesterday's heat fried the tips of new growth on all my willows despite the shade and water. Are Lilacs even a consideration given these conditions?
Check out the junipers. See if Shade cloth is on sale!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Miss Kim' is a selection of Korean Lilac. It is a dwarf, I don't know how much compared to the generic Korean Lilac, I say, get 'em both.

Lilac is pretty resilient. Give it a location with at least 6 hours direct sun, but against a building or fence to break up the wind.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
'Miss Kim' is a selection of Korean Lilac. It is a dwarf, I don't know how much compared to the generic Korean Lilac, I say, get 'em both.

Lilac is pretty resilient. Give it a location with at least 6 hours direct sun, but against a building or fence to break up the wind.
Whelp, I waited too long. The Ms. Kim Lilacs were gone. I did however get a Dwarf Korean Lilac and Western Sand Cherry for 5$ each. Knocked the duff off the top of both, trimmed a few minor dead branches/tips, and gave a good watering as they've been neglected. Figure I'll finish cleaning them up tomorrow, water and fert the rest of the season and do the major work in the spring. They both present some interesting problems that I look forward to tackling and learning.

Top Bottom