Missed dig opportunity :(

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday, a few of the local b-nuts went on a (Ashe Juniper) dig. I am supposed to join them but for some personal reasons I have to cancel out.

I got a few sample pics of what was collected at the site (maybe more to come) and I am slapping my self while drooling. LOL Well hope I can join them the next time. :)

BTW, one (first 2 pics) was collected prior from the same site.

SORRY, I forgot to ask permission to use the photos. I will re-post once I got clearance.

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Common Bro get your priorities straight! ;)

Looks like some nice material, you need to get out there and put some miles in! I'd reccomend using washed/sifted pumice. I use to use Turface for collected material and get a much better success rate with pumice. Shoot, do you have access to pumice?

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Common Bro get your priorities straight! ;)

Looks like some nice material, you need to get out there and put some miles in! I'd reccomend using washed/sifted pumice. I use to use Turface for collected material and get a much better success rate with pumice. Shoot, do you have access to pumice?

I know. :(

I am surrounded by Ashe Juniper....none are as nice as these.

I get pumice via eBay...best price I can get but the shipping is killing the deal. I am usually mixing it with Turface and DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to stretch it. So far my trees are loving it.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I get pumice via eBay...best price I can get but the shipping is killing the deal. I am usually mixing it with Turface and DE (Diatomaceous Earth) to stretch it. So far my trees are loving it.

I'm not into texting lingo but OMG! DUMB, DUMB, DUMB is what I'd be saying to myself. Thanks Dario, now I want an Ashe Juniper but the wife keeps saying "where are you going to put all these trees?" I'll sneak one in somehow though. :D

By the way, what ratio of Diatomaceous Earth do you use. I mixed up a batch this weekend and I'm not sure I like it. It's rather fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

88, You are in Texas. Horses all over the place. Call horse feed stores. Ask if they have any Dry Stall. It's used to sop up liquids that get deposited on the floors of horse stalls. It's pumice. It's cheap. I can buy it here in NC for around $12 for a very large bag, I don't remember the weight but it doesn't matter. The bag is the size of a 50 lb. bag of cow feed.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
88, You are in Texas. Horses all over the place. Call horse feed stores. Ask if they have any Dry Stall. It's used to sop up liquids that get deposited on the floors of horse stalls. It's pumice. It's cheap. I can buy it here in NC for around $12 for a very large bag, I don't remember the weight but it doesn't matter. The bag is the size of a 50 lb. bag of cow feed.

I've been looking for Dry Stall for 2 years. Somehow Dry Stall is not sold here (owner told me). Last month I talked to her again as she said maybe McCoy's carry it now but every store I called doesn't. :(

Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not into texting lingo but OMG! DUMB, DUMB, DUMB is what I'd be saying to myself. Thanks Dario, now I want an Ashe Juniper but the wife keeps saying "where you going to put all these tree?" I'll sneak one in somehow though. :D

By the way, what ratio of Diatomaceous Earth do you use. I mixed up a batch this weekend and I'm not sure I like it. It's rather fine.

I use: 1 part Turface, 1 part DE, 1 part lava or pumice, 1 part Miracle Grow potting soil (or pine bark). All are sifted only with fine 1/16" sifter. I also add a little charcoal (when I remember) :rolleyes:

Not the best mix, but works very well for my trees.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Poink-Put in some miles!

The more pumice you can use the better! Also,(I know the pics above are not yours, but your friends) I think a bit smaller of a container would be better, in general. Do you know the Bonsai Smiths? http://bonsaismiths.net/ I've seen some fantastic Ash juniper they have. I've also seen a nice one that John Kirby has at Boon's place.

There are some fantastic Ash Junipers out there. If I were you I would be driving around every weekend looking for good locations. Then figure out how to get permission. You have to put in a lot of miles by car/truck, plus a lot of miles on foot to find the best material. More Miles=Better Quality Trees. Good luck bud, can't wait to see the pics of your future masterpiece!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't know that dry stall is pumice. I've located a source up here on my first try. They call it stall dry. Whatever.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. I didn't know that dry stall is pumice. I've located a source up here on my first try. They call it stall dry. Whatever.

Dry Stall is pumice...Stall Dry is totally different...it's diatomaceous earth. I use the dry stall pumice in my mix but have no idea whether stall dry can be used as a component and would suggest that it isn't a substitute for pumice.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Dario - give up on ebay and get with some friends to buy a pallet. A 50 lb bag of turface costs $15 from Ewing, about the same price I paid for a 60 lb bag of pumice and that includes shipping to Houston. You'll be able to demote your turface and DE to the jobs they are meant to do - prevent grass from growing on the infield and soaking up oil in the garage - and probably save money in the end to boot. If you're interested, I'll give you the particulars - send me a pm.

Scott

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got lots more pics BUT because they were taken with an iPhone, I cannot post them in fear of the info getting data mined. I am very sorry.

I can say that lots of what was shown later are much better than the 3 pics I posted initially. Some will rival the best yamadori materials I've seen posted here. Some remind me of the old brittlecone pines! :eek:

If the Live Oak that was collected survives, that will be a killer specimen. I would dare say the best Live Oak I've seen including all Google pics and in shows. :eek:

Teaser but that is all I can share now...and the more sorry I am to miss the opportunity. :mad:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I agree Dario, nix the DE for pumice.

Ryan N. said Ash junipers are one of the most underutilized junipers. Plus, they are considered weeds by the ranchers so getting permission to dig is generally very easy. I hope you can post some pics soon ;)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Call the nearest Agway - They have their own Branded Dry Stall and if they do not carry it they can and will add to their order for you free and call you when it is at the store. Tractor Supply does the same thing. Huge bag a little under 16 dollars...

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been looking for Dry Stall for 2 years. Somehow Dry Stall is not sold here (owner told me). Last month I talked to her again as she said maybe McCoy's carry it now but every store I called doesn't. :(

Thanks!

If you ever head south and go through or near Bishop, TX call the AGWAY store there and ask if they carry it.

Good luck.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Dario, you are going to have to start selling some material or open a bonsai nursery if you keep getting material.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Dario, you are going to have to start selling some material or open a bonsai nursery if you keep getting material.

^^^ If you're ever feeling overloaded, I'm feeling underloaded if you catch my drift :p

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got lots more pics BUT because they were taken with an iPhone, I cannot post them in fear of the info getting data mined. I am very sorry.

I can say that lots of what was shown later are much better than the 3 pics I posted initially. Some will rival the best yamadori materials I've seen posted here. Some remind me of the old brittlecone pines! :eek:

If the Live Oak that was collected survives, that will be a killer specimen. I would dare say the best Live Oak I've seen including all Google pics and in shows. :eek:

Teaser but that is all I can share now...and the more sorry I am to miss the opportunity. :mad:

What is this data mining fear exactly? Were there pics in the original post that are gone now?

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
What is this data mining fear exactly? Were there pics in the original post that are gone now?

Use of EXIF data to determine location. However, you can remove EXIF data easily; there are several guides online and it can be done with just about any program.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw the original pics and not to rub it in, but you really missed out. That juniper had some of the best pre bonsai qualities I have seen on a colllected tree post. When I say bonsai qualities, I mean the dead wood and the live portion were completely visible and distint from each other. Also, no drastic reductions, grafting or chops were neccessary. Basically, all you had to do was wire, prune and style what you had and repot. I believe this tree might have been able to be shown in 3 years.

Rob

Top Bottom