Mistery of the disappearing cutpaste

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi people,

Since last year I've been a bit more into deciduous, and when you say deciduous you say hacking and slashing. So cut paste as a result.

But the thing is: I have to apply it every week because it disappears.
I've seen the snails eat it. That's fine. But now it's winter, and I think I lost a good three or four wound covers in less than a week. No traces left behind, no snails around because they're dormant.

I'm suspecting either birds or mice, maybe rats or hedgehogs..

Has anyone got a clue about what's doing this? I'm in the dark here.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I have similar issues i have seen squirrels eat it, wasps taking it away in little pieces, I find it removed on the pot surface whole and sometimes it completely disappears. Could set up a trail camera to find out but sticking a bit of tin foil to the cut paste seems to stop this for me

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is kind of like a thick paint indeed. It hardens and breaks off when the bark underneath heals, but that takes a long time.

MapleLeaf

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Being a total newb, I have just been using plumbers putty. Because cheap and is what I have.
I like to pretend everything the putty contains is inert.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never had it magically eaten away but it did attract some insect pests one year. Never quite figured out why that happened that year but never others.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it's the tits.
They seem to be funky nest builders and they've started early this year for some reson. They're hopping around my trees looking for bugs too. But I'm not completely sure because I haven't caught them in the act.

I'm using the japanese putty with the green cap. I'm off the pokon wound sealant because it hardened over winter in 2020 and it contains something that oxidizes copper.

Top Bottom