Misting on really hot days?

gjantzer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone using misting heads around their trees to cool the air on really hot days? Is there risk of the water collecting on the leaves and causing the leaves to burn in the sun? Running about 108 degrees and so it seemed like running a couple of mister per bench would give the trees some reprieve from the extreme heat. Or am I better off just misting the containers (mostly black) to keep the roots and soil cool?

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sometimes i just spray the outside of my pots with cool water. Especially if its humid after a previous day of rain. My soil is saturated but the pots are holding heat. A fast cool down. Leaves will obtain most of their moisture from the roots. So keep the roots happy.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Anyone using misting heads around their trees to cool the air on really hot days? Is there risk of the water collecting on the leaves and causing the leaves to burn in the sun? Running about 108 degrees and so it seemed like running a couple of mister per bench would give the trees some reprieve from the extreme heat. Or am I better off just misting the containers (mostly black) to keep the roots and soil cool?

This is a horticultural old wives tale. Water droplets will not magnify the rays of the sun and burn the leaves. Water cools by evaporation and the decrease in ambient humidity reduces heat stress on the tree...the leaf surface wouldn't begin to warm to any degree until after the water droplets were gone. In other words, misting the whole tree on a hot afternoon will actually cool your trees, which is a good thing.

Top Bottom